Chapter 47

Chapter Forty-Seven

Hope clearly didn't yet know that the Brookewind family failed at large family dinners. Yet it was going to happen anyway and Amber found herself sitting at the large dining room table the next day. 

Luna had informed everyone, demanding their presence at the dinner. Hope said to invite family members and close friends of the family. Amber used that to her advantage and told Luna they should invite Hailey. Luna surprisingly agreed.

People had begun to fill the room and take their seats. Luna had made little seat markers with people's names on them which now sat on the table, giving them assigned seats.

Amber peered at the ones next to her. Eva would sit on her right and Luna on her left. 

"Amber, honey!" 

Amber whirled around and found her parents approaching her. Luna had made it clear this was a formal dinner and everyone was to dress up. Amber's parents had followed her request and looked terrific. Her mother wore a long light blue dress and her father wore a suit, his tie the same hue as her mother's dress.

Amber stood and hugged them both tightly, tears stinging her eyes. She felt as if she hardly ever saw them. 

Her mother held her back by her shoulders to have a good look at her. "Wow! You look beautiful!"

Amber grinned. She wore a large beige dress with elegant patters of flowers covering the chest area. Her dress was almost as elegant as Luna's were and Luna was the one who had got it for her. One of the servants had done her hair and makeup, pulling her brown locks into a lovely braid and layering her eyes with glittering eyeshadow. She actually felt like royalty for the first time.

"Everyone please take your seats!" Luna called from somewhere nearby. 

Amber returned to her seat and soon Eva was sitting next to her, telling her all about how excited she was. Amber wasn't sure how to feel. This family was unstable and she never knew what to expect.

Joel said hello to Amber before taking his seat next to Eva.

Sally sat in her seat which was two down from Amber. Sally was to sit next to Luna. 

"Hello, Sally," Amber said with a warm smile. "You look lovely."

The girl wore a red dress that pooled down to her feet. She peeked up at Amber and offered a small smile. "Thanks. You do, too."

Amber returned her eyes forward and noticed Hope had taken the seat directly across from her. She knew their therapist was attending the dinner and Amber thought that was a good idea. Luna was hesitant at first but Hope convinced her by saying she needed to study how the family works as a whole first before dealing with the individual family members. She also wanted others to recognize and get to know her so she wasn't a stranger. She claimed that meeting the others would help her follow along with what was happening in Sally, Luna, and Amber's lives.

Hope did a little wave to Amber. Amber smiled but it must have been clear how nervous she was because Hope gave her a confident thumbs up.

Someone tapped on Amber’s exposed shoulder and she turned to find Hailey. 

“Hey!” Amber sprung to her feet and hugged her. 

After the hug, Hailey was grinning. “You look great. I’m so glad we’re doing this dinner. It’s a wonderful idea.”

“You look great, too,” Amber responded. Hailey was clad in a long and flowing violet dress. Her hair had been tugged in a tight bun and Amber vaguely wondered if this was the first time she had seen Hailey not wearing any animal print.