Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty

Two days later, Amber and Luna were back safe at the family home. They decided to stay there while they figured out what they were going to do. The two women were still badly injured, but were alive. Amber's parents were worried sick and wouldn't let her out of their sight for more then an hour.

"Are you serious?" Luna was saying into the phone. They were in her room and Luna was speaking to the fire department, trying to get more information on the fire. She had been on the phone with them for quite some time and was losing patience. Amber couldn't hear the other line, but from Luna's side, things weren't really making sense.

"I just want to know how it started," Luna pushed, her voice firm.

Amber sighed. They were both sprawled out on her bed. Luna had trouble walking or doing anything besides sitting. Her whole bottom half was injured, making her temporarily immobile. Casts covered her legs, looking quite crammed and uncomfortable.

Amber had managed not to break any bones, but did need several stitches. Most were necessary on her knees since they'd been so wrecked when she had crawled on the brick.

"What kind of fire department is this?!"

Amber eyed her woman, who wore a deep scowl on her face. She had propped herself up on some pillows and once her gaze met Amber's, she rolled her eyes, making Amber smirk.

Amber wanted to know just as bad how the fire had started. Luna had a right to be upset. The firemen should have been able to locate a source!

Amber looked over to watch Oliver stretch and yawn, waking up from his sleep.

"How many men did you send into my house?"

Oliver had made it out just fine. He was the only one who had been unaffected by the fire.

"And not one of them can figure out how it started?! ... How can you do that? The whole place is gone. It's no use now."

Amber propped her elbow on the bed and rested her face in her hand. She had been burnt in only four places, and they stung like hell.

"Okay, fine. Call me if you find any more information. And I mean anything! ... Yes, goodbye."

Luna slammed the phone onto the bed, making Amber jump.

"Damn people can't do anything for us! They're determined there was nothing in the home that started the fire. There is nothing surrounding our house! Fires don't just start randomly! What morons!"

Amber looked over her shoulder to her girlfriend. "What do you think it was?"

Luna's hair was tied back into a braid, running down her back. Her face was paler than normal and her nails had been chewed from all her anxiety. "I've been thinking, Amber... And with everything that man told me... It makes sense..."

Amber frowned. "What do you mean?"

Luna locked eyes with her. "Honey, I think it was Alice."

Oh no. Not again. Amber's heart beat quickened. She thought the woman was done with them. "You think... Would she try to kill us?!"

"She's tried before!"

Amber then remembered the faucet incident. She could have drowned. Alice might have caused the car crash. She recalled how Alice had told Amber to break up with Luna. She obviously had not. Was this the price of not listening to her?

"Oh my goodness..." Amber mumbled, covering her mouth with her hand. How far was Alice going to go? And how come she had left them alone for some time to suddenly attack again?