Chapter 25

Chapter Twenty-Five

"Could you pass me the salt, Amber, honey?"

Amber forced a smile and nodded stiffly as she grabbed the salt with shaking hands. She passed it to her mother, who nodded her head slightly as thanks.

Luna was no where near as nervous as Amber was. She was sure the family would support her, unlike Amber.

Amber knew the family would go insane. No one was going to take Luna's side on this!

"Are you feeling okay?" Joel was asking her.

Amber blinked. "Y-yes. Why do you ask?"

Joel smiled from next to her. "You've barley eaten a thing."

Out of the corner of her eye, Amber saw Luna watching them.

"I'm just not hungry, I guess."

No one at this table knew what was coming. All their smiles and small talk would soon fade.

Luna had planned on telling them the news after dinner. Amber didn't know why it was necessary to hold a dinner. It was making her sick.

Chatter from the family made for a constant background as Amber tried to force down some food. Nobody even seemed to be concerned about what it was Luna had to say. They probably thought she was being dramatic about her news. That wasn't the case, this time. When Luna had told Amber's mother that their lives would change, the woman had laughed.

Amber felt Luna nudging her side.

She looked to her girlfriend sitting next to her, who had her nose turned up at Amber as she leaned close to her.

"God, Amber, you look awful. Would you just calm down?" She whispered, her eyes bearing into Amber's.

Amber had nothing to say to her, so she rolled her eyes and turned her head away.

Several long minutes passed before everyone was finished eating.

Luna cleared her throat, pushed her chair back, painted a smile on her face, and stood.

"Now that everyone is finished, I think it's best for me to announce what I need to tell you."

Amber's stomach was doing kartwheels.

"As I've told you all, this is very important, and I don't want any of you to think I'm joking."

Amber slowly scanned her eyes across the table. Eva sat with her hands folded in her lap and her eager eyes lifted to Luna. Her lips were tugged up into a smile and her cheeks glowed naturally. Hailey sat beside her, looking more serious as her curled hair hung down softly. She caught Amber's eye and smiled at her.

"The only person who knows about this is Amber," Luna was saying.

Joel's finger was tracing his bottom lip as he watched Luna. Samuel sat next to him, his head dangled downwards. Amber's mother and father were smiling slightly and holding hands, looking between Luna and Amber. Asher was in the seat beside them, gently tapping his fork against the table as he watched Luna, his mouth hung open slightly.

"I didn't expect this to happen, and I don't think anyone else did either."

Amber raised her eyes to Luna,  who was looming over the entire table.

"The officials visited me yesterday," Luna began, and Amber wondered if anyone was catching on yet. "They told me that the family that was currently ruling had all passed away. They said that... that makes me the next rightful queen."