Chapter 24

Chapter Twenty-Four

Amber waited at her seat and watched Luna carry in the tray of chicken. Luna set the tray down on the glass table and flashed Amber a nervous smile before sitting next to her.

Luna was jittery. She claimed that she had to tell Amber something that would "change their lives." In a good way, of course.   Amber was probably just as nervous as Luna. Their definitions of 'good' were different.  

"Now I'm not going to tell you just yet..." Luna claimed as she cut up a piece of chicken she had sat on her plate.  

Amber wasn't even hungry. She wanted to know what it was. 

 "Please tell me now, Luna. I'm dying to know."  

Luna grinned as she focused on her chicken. "That's the fun part, though. I get to torture you by making you wait."  

Amber chuckled and rolled her eyes. She had been out all day with Asher and Lucy, but obviously whatever went on while she was away was much more important than what she had been doing.  

"So... how was your day?" Asked Luna while Amber forced herself to swallow a spoonful of mashed potatoes.  

"It was fun. I got a lot of new clothes that I can't wait to show you."  

Luna smiled. "I bet you cleared out your dad's credit card."

 Amber giggled. "This is why I'm trying to get a job."

Her success with finding a job had been a fail. She hadn't gotten accepted to any place yet.  

Luna shook her head, though. "I don't think you'll be needing one of those."  

Amber set her fork down. "Tell me, Luna!"  

Luna made a face at Amber. "Whatttt? You need to eat something first!"

 Amber pouted. "You're making me too nervous to eat. Plus, I snacked a whole lot at the mall today."  

Luna finally set her silverware down as well and sighed. "Okay, you win."

Amber beamed. She hoped whatever Luna was about to say was as important as she was making it seem. Amber had no idea what to expect.  

Luna suddenly stood from the table and confused Amber by closing the doors to the room they sat in.   

Luna walked back to the table, her loose curls bouncing with her while Amber stared at her and waited.  

After Luna had seated again, she leaned in close to Amber, who was on the edge of the cushioned seat.  

"Now, Amber, what I'm about to tell you is very important. I'm not kidding whatsoever, okay?"  

Amber chuckled. "Okay."  

Luna was all seriousness, though. "Amber."

 "Sorry," Amber quickly said, suddenly feeling guilty over nothing.  

Luna went on. "You're the only person I've told this to, and I don't want you to mention it to anyone else unless I say you can."  

Amber nodded silently. Luna had never been so serious in her life.  

"The officials visited me today. I wasn't expecting them, but there they were."

 Amber watched her closely.   

"They told me the family who ruled before had all passed away. They need someone to take over."  

Amber couldn't breathe.