Chapter 43

Chapter Forty-three

“Everybody back up.”

“I still don’t understand what happened.”

Amber blinked multiple times. 

“She’s waking up.”

"She has a lot of explaining to do."

Amber could hear voices but when she opened her eyes, everything was still blurry and foggy. She squinted her eyes in attempt to see better. People surrounded her, staring down at her like she was a freak as she lay on the cold floor.

Everything really did happen, then. 

Amber was afraid she’d puke.

“Someone take Sally upstairs,” a voice said.

Sally was alive! Thank God.

“Is Alice really dead?” someone whispered.

Amber’s neck hurt so bad. It felt like a thousand needles were poking at it.

Something cold and wet was on her forehead and she lifted her hand, intending to find out what it was. Someone gently pushed her hand back down, though. 

“Stay still, baby,” Luna cooed. 

“Luna!” She gasped and reached out for her. She couldn’t see her for some reason.

“I’m right here,” Luna promised, grabbing Amber’s hands. “Please stay still.”

A foggy Luna at last appeared and Amber blinked and squinted to no avail. “I can’t see you!” She cried, beginning to panic.

The cold wet thing on her head moved and she realized it must be a rag. 

“I know, baby. You lost a lot of blood."

Didn't she consume a lot of blood, too, though?

"You're okay," she heard a different voice say. It took her a moment to place the voice and once she did, she knew her mother was close by.

"Mom!" She tried to shout but it came out as a whisper.

"I'm here, honey. We all are," her mother said, her voice gentle and comforting.

Someone poked at Amber's neck and she cried out in pain. 

"She needs stitches," a male voice said. "Now." Amber didn't recognize the voice.

Luna's hand slid from hers and she began to panic again. 

"Luna! Luna, please don't leave," she sobbed uncontrollably, reaching out for her girlfriend. She couldn't see and she could hardly talk and her neck was killing her. She thought she was going insane. 

"I'm not going anywhere," she heard Luna say. 

Everyone that surrounded her was talking quietly among themselves, sounding concerned and frightened.

Amber stared upward and tried to make out the figure that stood before her. The sight was just a mixture of black hair and blue cloth and pale skin. She knew it was Luna and she was almost able to see Luna's face.

"I'm going to take her upstairs," she heard Luna declare above everyone's whispers.

Amber was being lifted suddenly. Luna picked her up bridal-style and began to carry her towards the stairs.

Amber clung onto her like a leech, panting and gasping.

"You need to calm down, Amber," Luna said as they slowly walked up the stairs. Luna carried her as if she weighed nothing. "Breathe," she cooed gently.