Chapter. 1

Seven's POV

"Mom can you look at me?" I demanded at my drunken mother falling in and out of a daze.

"Fuck." I muttered in frustration stepping over her passed out body. I walked into the kitchen and saw the time read 2 P.M. And before you judge me, this is an almost daily occurrence. However, we agreed she wouldn't drink till after 5 P.M. if she couldn't quit all together.

"You're so mean to me Seven." She groaned dropping her empty bottle of Tito's on the floor.

I grabbed a dish towel and started wiping off the counters where crumbs and spilt alcohol lingered.

"I shouldn't have to do this with you mom you're forty-five." I said not making eye contact.

"Exactly! Im grown! I can do as I please! You're the child." She snapped.

I rolled my eyes and smirked.

"Great, you get up and clean yourself on your own then. I'm out of here."

I went upstairs to my room and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked so run down. My long black hair was in a messy bun, the bags were forming under my eyes, darkened from last night's mascara. I walked into the hall bathroom and started taking off my makeup. I let my hair down, as it fell to my chest and hopped in the shower. The hot water ran down my body and felt so good after a long day of work. It's been an exhausting summer looking after my mother, paying the bills so she doesn't lose her house. It wasn't my job to take care of her, but as much as she pisses me off, she's my mom.

She wasn't always like this, but she's been battling addiction ever since my dad left two years ago. I was 16 when he left. I'm now 18, but it feels like ive been an adult for a very long time.

I hopped out of the shower and tied my hair up in a towel, then wrapped a second towel around my body.

Mom was now passed out on the couch. At least she gathered the strength to get off the floor.

My phone started ringing, Dana. My aunt.

"Hey." I answered.

"Hey baby, how you holding up today?" She replied. She has called me every day these last two years.

"Better than mom." I laughed. I heard my aunt Dana sigh. She didn't like when I made jokes about my circumstances.

"Listen. I did speak to your mom a couple of days ago, and she agreed to move in with uncle ron. Someone who can take care of her and help her get on her feet. You're too young to be running the house down there." She began. I turned my nose in confusion as to where she was going with this.

"I know you're going to be a senior this school year, but I'd really like it if you moved up here with me."

I paused taking in everything she said. Obviously I'm 18 and don't have to go anywhere, but with mom leaving, where would I go? How would I get to work? How could I afford this home ?

"I have a big house, not to brag, so we won't be up under each other all day everyday, you'll have your own bathroom, balcony. My guest bedrooms are beautiful." She explained noticing my silence,"the school is wonderful here too. Your cousin Kilian graduated from there two years ago, he misses it tons!"

I sighed, "a whole new school huh?" I didn't have much to lose at this school here in Texas anyways. I hated everyone I went to school with.

"Think of it as a brand new beginning. You don't need to be living like an adult Seven. You're an 18 year old girl. These years are your prime. Let your uncle and I help your mother." I wanted to laugh as she said these years were my prime. Maybe for privileged kids. 

Her offer would be a hard one to pass up. However, I have no other options which makes it even harder to pass up.

"Yeah, sure." I replied. I heard my aunt take a breath of relief.

"I'm so excited! I will arrange a plane ticket and let you know the day. Get to packing!" We hung up the phone and I sat on my bed still wrapped in my towel looking down at the stained carpet under my feet. I was really about to move and start a whole new life. I hated change, even if my current situation wasn't the best. My therapist had always told me sometimes we become so used to the trauma we experience, we use it as a security blanket, to avoid change. It's basically like self sabotage

Glass breaking broke me out of my train of thought. I immediately recognized the sound, a broken bottle.

"Not that it would be hard to get better than this." I sighed.