Bonus: Love And Be Loved In Return

Start from the beginning

“But grandpa is never angry,” replied Caladwen in confusion.

“Yes, he’s never angry,” confirmed Asher confidently. “But you, on the other hand,” he turned to me with mischief in his icy blue eyes that he inherited from his ada, “We thought if you come with us and investigate, if there’s a balrog there he will be afraid of you.”

My mouth went O in astonishment. “How dare you–what are you implying–unbelievable!” I exclaimed rather dramatically myself, hovering between disbelief, shock and much amusement at the same time. My kids, however, saw right through me that they both laughed at my expression.

I pouted and folded my arms, pretending to be pissed. “You hurt my feelings. I’m sad. Get away from me,” I grumbled and huffed.

Again, they saw the jest through me, so instead both of my babies continued laughing and opted to tackle me with big hugs that almost made me topple over whilst begging me not to be angry. Unable to hide my amusement any longer, I let out a laugh giving in as I finally hugged them again.

When our laughter ceased and our faces turned red from too much giggles, I stood up and straightened my lavender dress, letting the airy, smooth material dropped down and trailed behind me as I took each of my children’s hands in mine.

“Now, lead the way. Let us investigate this mystery chamber.”

Asher and Caladwen weren’t kidding.

It was a secret door; one that even myself never noticed, nor Legolas or Thranduil ever mentioned about its existence. The wooden, carved door seamlessly blended with the wall that I wonder how my children even managed to find it. The door seemed old as it creaked open. In front of us, a stair went down towards a total blackness that I couldn’t see the end of it. I let go Asher's hand to take one of the lamp off of a nearby wall. With my hands holding both the lamp and Caladwen's delicate hand, I instructed Asher to hold on to the fabric of my dress and told him to stay close. He nodded obediently as we faced the long dark of the chamber of secrets.

“So… Who’s going to enter the deep, dark hole first?” Asher questioned. I chuckled, but Caladwen, with both anxiety and determination in her russet eyes that resembled mine, answered diplomatically.

“Together.”

I smiled at her and gave her hand a soft squeeze. Then off we go.

The stairs were probably about only two story high, but in such darkness it felt like a long and deep journey down. Down the blood bond I shared with my son and daughter, I could easily felt their emotions. Asher’s giddiness; Caladwen's ever growing anxiety and fear. I tightened my hold on Caladwen's hand, sending her caress of comfort down our family bond. Her dark eyes glinted amber, reflecting the light in my hand as she looked up at me and sweetly gave me her thank you smile.

“Another door. Wow,” Asher commented, then he grinned with conspiracy at both me and his sister, “The Balrog must be behind this door!” he teased with a cheeky smirk, making me roll my eyes. Caladwen on the other hand, didn’t find her brother's teasing quite as amusing at the time.

This door didn’t quite open as easily as the first door. In fact, it was locked. Asher let out an exasperated groan and threw his head back in disappointment at this, even his sister seemed a little disappointed despite the obvious relief on her face.

“Fret not, darlings,” I cooed.

I lowered the lamp in my hand and carefully placed it on the ground. I took off my gorgeous bejeweled hair clip that hold my curls back, letting my hair loose. Bending the sharp part of the clip, I used it to pick the lock. It took me some time and effort, but boy, the view that greeted us behind that difficult door was just worth all that trouble.