Chapter 40

We planned it so that he shows up at midnight at the gates. It took some convincing for Alexander to let me out on a walk at night, but I made my way around to the back gates, away from Alexander's window.

I hear the silent sound of a car pulling in. I looked at my watch, but I couldn't see anything in the dark. I checked the time on my phone, and then pulled off my hair tie to wrap my hair into a ponytail. I was dressed in socks, sweatpants, and a tight fit shirt. I looked obscurely skinny. My combat boots would have been perfect to knock out the guards, but I had already taken care of the ones on the first floor.

Really, all it takes is a sleeping pill, and a water bottle. They would be out cold for the rest of the night, possibly through to the day.

Hopefully.

I hear a voice whisper in the distance. "Victor?" I whisper as if he was going to hear me. I called again, a little louder, but still quiet enough not to wake anyone up.

I feel a hand clasp over my mouth and an arm wrap around my waist and pull me aside. The feeling was gently familiar.

"Are you ready?" The voice whispers. I turn around.

"Are you ready Victor?" I laugh silently.

"Lets go."

We make our way inside slowly, and thank god for the stone walls, because they can't have camera's installed.

As we walk by the first two guards laying still on the floor, Victor glances back and forth between me and the two men.

"Yep I did that," I nodded. He gives me a proud grin and we make our way slowly up the stairs. Another advantage for stone stairs, they don't creak.

I told him to take off his shoes once we get to the top. We make out way down the corridor to the second hall.

I was literally waiting for some crazy shit to happen and the whole plan to go downhill, but we made it through to the room pretty easily.

"How do you plan on opening the door?"

"Like this," I say pulling out a hairpin from my pocket and sticking it into the lock. I twist and wiggle it, but I suddenly hear footsteps.

"I got it," Victor whispers, and then walk out and around the corner. I hear a quick wham, something like a punch, and at the same time, the lock clicks open.

"Lets go," I wave him over.

We crouch slowly into the room. I try to open the door as slowly as possible, making sure the door doesn't creak.

"Victor," Isabel calls out silently. She was heaving with tears. I moved to the side of the room, and let them have their moment. I basically stood guard by the door.

I watch the two of them, curl up together. I was almost tearing up. Oh how I wished for a hug like that with my mother. I wanted that. I wanted to feel my mama's hands, wrap around me. I had no one now. I just stood there.

Suddenly Isabel stands up, and her stomach sticks out. Was she pregnant? I look again, and she was slightly showing.

After Victor saw her baby bump, he picked her up and began twirling her in the air. I look past Isabel, and at the table.

No. The vase.

As Victor twirls her in the air, she extends her legs. Oh how I wish I had the power to stop time.

"Victor!" I whisper scream as I dove for the vase. Her foot tapped the vase and it floated to the ground. I missed it and landed with a thud, followed but the smashing vase. I slowly push myself up, and the sound of footsteps slamming on floor gets louder and louder.

Victor slowly lowers Isabel and then turns to me. We look at each other in panic.

"Shit," we say in unison.

<~~~~>