Chapter 29

I could hear him grumble through the hallway. I look up and pat around the mattress for the phone. That had everything recorded on it.

"How'd it go?" He asked as I heard the door creak open and his head peer through.

"That's the most compassionate tone you've used towards me," I mocked.

He rolled his eyes and slammed his muscular body onto the seat by the bed side. I lean over the edge and hold out the phone. He leans in closer, looking over the phone. I couldn't help but think of how beautiful he was.

Like an idol from one of the old history books in greek mythology. Like one of those powerful gods. His hair was slicked back and his white shirt was so tightly wrapped, all of his definitions were visible.

"This is a recording that I had Markie take. Everything we spoke of. See for yourself," I usher, pushing the phone towards him.

He slides them out of my hand his finger barely brushing past me. I longed for that touch. Gentle. Unknown. Like my mother.

I explain to him my behavioral notes, and things that I watched for. He didn't seem to be convinced.

"There's no way she could have done it," I explained.

"That whole thing about her not being able to drive down is a lie. Anyone can easily remove their sim card in order to prevent being tracked. That isn't hard."

"She wasn't lying about that. We double checked. I asked Markie to get her number, saying it was for if we needed to contact her or needed any more help."

"Mhm," he nodded, looking up at me, "and how does that change the lie?"

"God you're impatient. Lara didn't have any security which was absurd. To be frank with you, I assumed she would have multiple phone numbers, which she did. Yet I found that the number she gave us is the phone that she carries around everywhere regardless of the job."

"And?" He rolled his eyes. Oh how badly I wanted to give him a black eye. If he would just shut up and listen.

"Then we tried to trace the number and see its movements on that day. Absurdly enough, Lara was in the car that was heading to the tunnel. Then it seemed that she got a phone call, and her vehicle turned back around on the road about 27 miles away, 10 minutes after the police arrived at the tunnel."

"So she never actually even reached the tunnel, and your proof is that, her phone wan't traced any further."

"Exactly."

"I'm still suspicious that she might have a link, and I'm going to need a restraining order against her," Victor grumbled.

Markie laughed from the other side of the doorway, "We'll get that ready for you, of course."

<~~~~>