Chapter 28

The wind slams into my face as I duck lower and lower grasping the bike tighter. My heart was tearing apart. The motorbike brought back so many memories. Of my life in London, of my mother, of the old me.

On landing here, everything had changed. I had to be aggressive. I had to be demanding. I had to be someone who wasn't me.

My hair flew far behind me and my helmet kept the top part all neat and tucked. I increase my speed and rip across the highway. I let the bike carry me. Carry me through my anger, my emotions, my confusion, everything

If Lara, the only lead I had, didn't do it, then where the hell was I going to start from here. There's no one. I decided to pull over on the side of the road, grab some water and then continue on.

I texted Markie with the remaining details I needed and then I told him to meet me at Victor's place as soon as he gets the information. Today.

I cup my hands, and splash a little of the water on my face. The water was warm from sitting in the side compartment of the motorbike, but it still satisfied my thirst.

As I approach, the outskirts of the area behind Victors land, I start to think how emotionally attached Victor was. I had given him false hope. If my deductions led me in the wrong way, and Isabel actually is dead, what would I do.

He wouldn't forgive me.

I took this as a challenge, so I could be set free. But if I don't find her, the guilt would have me trapped forever.

I pull around the property, towards the main gate. I drive through and park alongside the various vehicles he owned. I ripped the helmet off in a hurry.

Markie was already here. I needed to talk to him before I say anything to Victor. I needed Markie's details.

I pulled out the gun and held it facing upwards while I fixed my jacket sleeve.

"Good work, Ms. Pierri," he greets me as I walk across the lawn. He was standing beside Dante, who was grinning at me like he had just won the lottery. The sun was setting, but the light was still sharp.

"Let me see," I say, ignoring his compliment and grabbing the papers off of the desk and tossing my gun to replace them. I let out a huff. I shuffle through the papers again. This was enough to convince people, especially Victor, that Lara wasn't the cause.

But that puts me at a dead end again. Who did it. Who kidnapped her. Who decided to deprive Victor of something he valued, just like death decided to rip my mother from me.

Just like my mother was ripped from me. I wasn't doing this to be set free. I was doing this because I know the pain of losing someone.

After dinner I sat in my room, taking deep breaths. After I tell Victor, where was I going to start from there. He was going to lose hope in me.

I rubbed my forehead and sat there, waiting for Victor.

<~~~~>