Chapter 33

There was an obnoxious habit of eating together for every meal. I don't know if it's just because I'm here, but I'm despising it. I don't want to spend my mornings eating in front of a man who basically chased my mother out and didn't even care for her to come back.

My mind trails back to what I saw last night. How would I know if it was the bag. One option I had was to break into her room, but that was obviously a risky move, and if I was caught, I would have to explain myself.

What if I just played with Vienna a bit? She clearly doesn't mind showing off he accessories. I can't describe with words how extra she is to get read and come eat breakfast. It seemed a little easier this way though.

"I love your necklace!" I burst. Both of them look up at me surprised. Vienna lets out a small laugh.

"Well," she says directing her attention to Alexander, "He got this for me, and I love it so much."

I didn't ask who got it for her, why can't she just take the compliment and move on. She started giving me details on the stones and the gold and all the other nonsense I didn't care for.

"I was wondering," I interject her monologue, "If I can look around your accessories. I could really use some ideas and inspiration!" It was so difficult to fake the enthusiasm. Yes I like accessorizing, but I can't do more than a ring and a small necklace.

"Of course," she laughs hesitantly and Alexander gives me a proud smile. If he thought I was trying to get along with his girlfriend that's not the case.

We wipe off after breakfast and she immediately grabs me and leads me to her rooms. We went up the stairs towards my room, but for the first time, we cut into the second hallway.

"Why are we here?" I ask.

"My room is over there, but all of my accessories are kept in another room in this hallway," she explains.

"Oh."

So that is what Alexander meant when he said storage. These are just designer's closets. Each room was labeled based off of the accessories and items in there, and the hall was rather short compared to the others. Not to mention the ugly and bland stone walls.

"Thats the room, the one at the very end," she directs. I nod, but look around at the rooms. Suddenly something catches my eye. A door with a chained lock. I've seen enough in movies to know it's always the doors with extra protection that need the most examination.

"What room is that," I ask Vienna pointing to the locked room.

"Oh, I don't know. Alexander doesn't talk about it, but I do occasionally see the guards go in and out."

I turn back forward and continue following Vienna. It was locked but it was a new place to investigate tonight. But where would I find the key. And then I thought, who needs a key when hairpins are a thing.

We enter the room and we immediately start browsing. I flip through the purses to find that one purse. Out of the corner of my eye I catch sight of it. I try to look less hurried as I grab it. She continues her monologue about each accessory.

"What about this one?" I ask, holding out the purse. Isabel's purse.

"Oh, thats probably my least favorite one. It was already here before I came. If it's not a gift from my baby Alexander, then I don't want it," she laughed.

"Well, if you don't mind, may I take it?" I asked.

"Of course beautiful," she smiled, "Keep it."

I was cringing at the way she used an adjective as a nickname for me. Who was she to call me that. Even my mama would joke around and call me maialino.

I looked back at Vienna.

I couldn't help but smirk at the fact that she was probably going to end up getting heartbroken because of a man almost 20 years older than her.

Povera piccola bambola.

I cut the tour short and tell Vienna I have work to finish. She smiles and I rush back to my room with the purse to check the inside flap. I slam the door behind me and stand there opening the purse in a rush.

I look for the VI. Right there, where it should be. I laugh out in relief. This was it. My theory was right. Alexander was involved.

He had a clear motive, and now I had evidence too.

I decide not to tell Victor until I meet him in person.

<~~~~>