Chapter 17

Victor grasps my hand.

As he leads me to a place to sit, I bump into this other woman. She's about two inches shorter, but her heels put her eye to eye with me. Her eyelids were drooping and the almost empty glass of alcohol in her hand said it all.

"I'm so sorry," I say, but her gaze turns away from me.

Victor pauses. He looks at the woman. I look back and forth between the two before I return my vision to the woman.

She gave him the most desperate grin possible. Looking at it made me want to die.

"Victor!" She exclaims and then glances at me, "Who's the new one?"

Victor bit down on his teeth and his jaw popped out in anger. I could tell that he was biting down and grinding on his teeth so he doesn't say anything.

"Who's she?" I whisper under my breath, barely audible.

"Im sorry, let me introduce myself. I am the one and only Lara," she pauses to eye him down, "Victor's true love."

"I'm sorry, I-" I began but I was abruptly cut off.

"Hah, how many girls are you lying to Victor?"

"Leave her be," he hisses setting his hand on the gun hidden under his shirt. I was standing off to the side but managed to make eye contact with him. I gave him a glare to get his hands off his gun.

I watched as the two of them stood face to face.

"I don't care how many of them come along. I will kill all of them. Every single one," she says, "because you are mine. Only mine." With that she wobbled off, completely drunk.

So it was assumed that I was his doll to mess around with. People really thought we were together. But that makes me wonder. How many were there more before me?

I scoff at Victor with disbelief and then storm out of the room clashing into other moving bodies. I could hear the faint sound of my name but I didn't want to attend to it.

The music felt so loud and I felt attacked and humiliated at the same time. Just a few moments ago, I thought he was a good man. Bringing me the comfort I needed.

How many girls are you lying to?

I was disgusted by the replay of the sentence.

I made it through the massive crowd of men and women packed with weapons.

I storm out of the large building and lighting strikes. Individual droplets poured around me. At first it was like the rain was falling in slow motion. Then with another bolt of lightning, and the sound of thunder, the rain fell.

It fell helplessly while I began to walk around to the side of the building with all the parked vehicles.

This life was dangerous.

Worse than burning in hellfire.

<~~~~>