Chapter 12 - Realisation

Start from the beginning

His eyes widened briefly then he nodded slowly.

"I think so, yes."
"Why didn't you tell the others?" I asked.
"You thought so too, why didn't you tell them?" He countered.
"You're the expert. I was in that army 1/5 of the time you were. I didn't fully trust my judgement, especially with what's going on-" I clamped my hands over my mouth.

"With what going on?" Jasper asked, shifting his position to face me full on.
"Nothing," I answered quickly, looking down at my lap. I was sat cross legged on one end of the sofa, Jasper sat at the other.
"You're scared," he spoke quietly. "Why?"
"I'm not scared."
"Not for yourself. But you are scared."

I shook my head.

"Ellie, you can't lie to me about this," Jasper said and I couldn't argue with that. He could feel what I felt and I was definitely scared for Kyle.

I let out a sigh and reluctantly met his gaze before I spoke. "Kyle's in Seattle," I said, quietly.

Jasper eyes immediately softened and I had the sudden urge to cry.

"Come here," he said softly and I crawled across the sofa and wrapped my arms around Jasper's neck.

"I don't want him to die," I dry sobbed into his neck as he rubbed my back. "If he dies it will be my fault!"
"No, Ellie, it won't be your fault. And we're going to end this anyway. Kyle is going to be ok." I continued to sob.

Jasper seemed to hesitate slightly before he spoke again "Do you know if Kyle's still alive?" He asked carefully and I nodded.
"I've been checking the paper."

"Why didn't you tell the others?" Jasper asked.
"I don't know. I was trying not to think about Kyle and I didn't want to add to anything going on. You won't tell them right?" I asked panicked.

"If you don't want me to then no, I won't."
"Thank you," I said, pulling away from Jasper.

"And Ellie," Jasper said "After this is over, I'll help you find Kyle, if you'd like."
"Seriously?"
"Yeah," he smiled "We'll go to Seattle and we'll track him."
"Thank you!" I threw my arms around Jasper again, earning a chuckle in response.

"Now, how about you help me figure out what we're going to do about this damn army," Jasper said and I nodded.
"Are we telling the others?"
"We will tomorrow, when everyone's here and we're absolutely sure it's an army."
"Sounds good," I nodded and Jasper and I spent nearly the rest of the night discussing the army in Seattle and what we could do.

-~-

We'd checked the headlines this morning and the report on Seattle was bad, and I mean really bad. 22 murdered in the past 10 days.

The army was out of control.

"Bella and Edward are coming over," Alice announced as she flitted down the stairs and gracefully sat down on the last one.

No school today then.

Not that I was complaining.

It wasn't long before Edward and Bella pulled up in the Volvo, getting out and heading into the house. They came to join us in the living room where Carlisle, Esme, Jasper and I were intently watching the news. It was all on Seattle.

Emmett walked through the kitchen door as Bella and Edward arrived, looking perfectly at ease with not one ounce of worry on his face. Sometimes I really wonder what's wrong with him but then that list is way too long to get into.

"Hey, Edward. Ditching, Bella?" He grinned at her.
"We both are," Edward said and Emmett laughed in reply.
"Yes, but it'sher first time through high school. She might miss something."