Chapter 22

About an hour later, the rattling of the door handle made me wake up.

I stood up, scared of what was on the other side.

What punishment could Ann have for me now?

I have no doubt that she has something sinister in store for me. She always does.

I just hope it's nothing too drastic. I've been through a lot of bad things. At this point, there's nothing I can't handle.

The door opened, revealing Ann. To my surprise, she came alone. She wasn't holding anything. I thought she'd want to bear me up with something but she held no object in her hand.

Also, she had a blank expression on her face.

I had been in the darkness for so long that the light coming through the hallway felt like it would literally blind my eyes. It felt like I had been in the darkness forever.

I had to cover my eyes with my hands for a while.

"Come with me" she said.

What if she wants to do something to me outside?

I was a bit hesitant. She seemed to notice because she turned back to me.

She smiled and said "There's nothing to be afraid of, dear. Just follow me your father and I would like to have a word with you"

As she walked away, I followed her down the corridor..

I couldn't help but open my mouth in shock.

Did Ann just smile at me?

Am I dreaming?

Apart from the times when she and my mom would hang out, I have never seen Ann smile ever since she moved into this house. She hasn't smiled at me, at least. She displays her happiness to other people. She feels so much disdain for me that she's always scowling. I was very surprised.

I have a feeling that she has something up her sleeve. I can't help the uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach. Something isn't right.

I followed her downstairs till we got to the dining area.

My dad sat there. Ann took a place on the chair beside him.

I noticed that there was food on the table. My dad looked happy to see me.

"Hello Catherine" he said "Sit down"

More reason for my mouth to be hung open. Ever since my mom died, I have never sat down on the dining table to eat with them. Logan and I always eat in the kitchen. The dining table was now reserved for my dad and Ann.

What's changing?

First, Ann smiles at me and now, my dad invites me to sit down.

Why are they being so nice to me?

I also noticed my mom's book on the table as well. It was directly in front of my dad.

Why is the book on the table?

"Sit down, honey" Ann said "The food is getting cold"

Reluctantly, I took a seat across them.

"Where's Logan?" I asked.

"Sleeping" Ann answered with a smile as she served everyone a plate of salad "I tucked him in for a nap not too long ago. You can go and check for him later"

Did she just call me a pet name?

Since when did she start tucking Logan into bed? She never wanted anything to do with him. I did my best to keep him out of her way as much as possible.

Something fishy is definitely going on. I couldn't hold it in for much longer. The whole situation is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

"Okay" I said "What is going on here?"

Ann smiled "Whatever do you mean? We're just trying to have dinner as a family"

"The last time I remember, you locked me in a room for reading my mother's book. You seemed really angry at me"

Ann waved her hand in the air "That was a while ago. I acted impulsively. I was just angry. I'm sorry. It won't happen again"

I was taken aback. I never thought I'd see the day when Ann would apologize to me or even feel remorse for the bad things she did to me.

"Don't be mad at her, dear" my dad said "She acted irrationally. She's taken correction for her actions"

Ann clasped her hands in excitement "Now, let's eat"

They started eating. I wasn't really hungry. My stomach felt as if  it was twisted in knots. I feel anxious and suspicious. I ahev no idea what is going on.

I did my best to eat the food slowly. I didn't want to seem ungrateful or do anything that'll upset Ann. She could still change her attitude and decide to punish me.

I wonder if this is all a facade. Maybe this is a sick twisted way to introduce the punishment to me.

Whatever this is, I'm not comfortable with it. I'm well aware that something is wrong.

I watched them as they ate. They ate in harmony, smiling at each other ocassionally. If a stranger walked in here, they would smile at us in admiration. They would think we were a united family. If they actually think that, they couldn't be more wrong.

After my dad was done with the first course, he cleared his throat.

"You love your mother, don't you?" my dad asked me.

I looked at him in confusion.

He knows how much I loved my mother. I would have died in her place if it came to the crunch.

I should be asking him that question. He's the one who was sleeping with her best friend even while they were married. He's the one who married her best friend just a few days after her burial.

I wonder why he's asking me this and not himself.

"Yes, I do" I answered "Why do you ask, dad?"

I could feel the tension in the air. I had mixed emotions of anxiety and fear. I don't know why he's asking me this.

"Then I need you to do something for me" he said "It's something your mother would have wanted"

I raised my eyebrow in confusion "What do you want me to do?"

He pushed the book towards me on the table "I need you to place your hand on this book"