Chapter 25

"People will ask questions" Ann said "How do we explain that Catherine died?"

"Nobody will suspect a thing," my dad whispered with a sinister tone. "We'll make it look like a suicide. Besides, once she signs over the hidden ownership of the pack, everything will be ours. We'll be rich enough to go out of town"

"What about Logan?"

"We'll take care of him later. Let's just focus on completing the ritual"

My body trembled as I listened to their conversation.

My heart was beating so loudly in my chest that I could hear it in my ears. I can't believe what I'm hearing.

I knew they resented me but I never knew they would resort to murder. So, that's why they've been acting so nice to me. I should have known. I had a hunch that something was wrong.

I have to escape. I have to run away as soon as possible. I need to get Logan first.

Quietly, I retreated from my position. Panic surged my veins as I moved.

As I turned to leave the hallway in a haste, I accidentally knocked over a vase that was standing nearby. The crash echoed through the once silent house.

Oh no.

They'll know I've been listening.

Without a moment's hesitation, I sprinted through the corridors.

My heart pounded in my chest like a war drum. The world blurred around me as I raced towards Logan's room.

I burst into his room. He was just waking up from a nap.

"Logan" I called "Get up!".

Logan wiped his eyes with his knuckles and yawned "Where are we going?"

"Just get up. We have to leave"

I quickly grabbed him and rushed downstairs.

I could hear footsteps behind me. I'm sure Ann and my dad are aware that I heard their conversation.

"Stop them!" my dad called out.

My dad  came back from training with some of his guards. Now, I know why. He probably needed them around in case anything went wrong with the ritual.

We have to be fast. If not, they'll catch up to us.

To be faster, I carried Logan on my arm and ran down the hallway.

"Catherine" Logan cried "You're scaring me"

"I'm sorry. Everything will be fine soon"

Even I didn't believe my words. I just pray I can get out of this house alive.

Our footsteps echoed throughout the house. I could hear the heavy footsteps of the guards behind us.

I finally reached downstairs. As we raced toward the exit, I heard my dad call out to some guards outside to secure the compound in order to trap us inside.

Shit! This is all because of that stupid vase.

What was it doing there anyway?

We burst out through the back door. I knew there were no guards there. The rest guards were at the front door so it would take a while to catch up with us.

I could hear footsteps behind me. The guards were hot on our trail.

I ran towards the forest. Our breaths came out in ragged gasps. I was getting tired but I knew I had to keep going. This is a matter of life and death. I have to run or die trying.

My heart ached with fear for Logan's life. I can't let anything happen to him.

"Stop right there!" I heard a guard scream behind me.

Suddenly, as if in response to my desperation, an incredible surge of power coursed through me.

I had no idea where it came from. It was unlike anything I had ever experienced. I could feel the mark on my back become heated.

I felt my senses sharpen. My muscles became tense with my newfound strength.

With a burst of energy and speed, I carried Logan deeper into the forest. I moved swiftly through the trees like a shadow.

I knew the guards were close but couldn't afford to slow down. I have to protect Logan by all means necessary.

I ran as fast as I could. Logan cried as we moved. I felt bad for him. He doesn't even know what's happening.

"Calm down, buddy" I said to him "We'll be fine"

All of a sudden, I came to a halt. A guard appeared before me. Before I knew what was happening, I became surrounded by the rest of them.

"You thought you could run" the guard in front of me said.

Their expressions hardened with determination. They would no doubt drag me back to my house.

I knew that there was no way to outrun them now. I have to fight, not only for my own life but for Logan's as well.

I dropped Logan on the floor. I have to do something.

The energy still surged through my veins. I channeled all that energy and did my best to focus. The mark on my back grew hotter. Maybe that's where my powers lie. I'll have to make use of it. It's my only hope.

With a deep breath, I focused my thoughts, drawing strength from the mark on my back. The energy surging through me got stronger.

As the first guard lunged toward me, I reacted immediately.

I raised my hand towards him. A burst of energy shot forward, like a force field. The force field sent the guard sprawling backward till he hit the tree.

I stared at him in shock.

How on earth did I do that?

I couldn't understand the force I had just unleashed. I don't know where it came from. All I knew was that I was desperate to defend myself.

The other guards hesitated for a moment. They looked shocked and confused.

I decided to seize the opportunity to attack them first. I turned to the ones on my left.

I focused my thoughts again. This time, a gust of wind swept forward. The leaves and debris around swirled as a result of it. I pushed the wind forward towards the guards. They were pushed back by it.

The remaining guards were in shock. They looked too scared to move.

I focused my thoughts again and raised my hands. This time, a barrier of thorny vines encircled the remaining guards. The vines trapped them within a prickly prison. They struggled against the thorns but were unable to escape.

"Kitty" Logan gasped "How did you do that?"

"I don't know. We have to keep moving"

We have to get out of here before my dad sends more people after us.

We resumed our journey deeper into the forest.
As we moved, I couldn't help but ponder the origin of my abilities.

I will bother about that later. I just need to get the hell out of here.