Chapter 7

The next day was Saturday and not just any Saturday, it was a wedding.

I'm actually supposed to be happy because I love weddings, or loved.

Weddings gave me joy. How could they not? They're celebrations of love. It proved to me that there's still some good in this world, no matter the shit I go through at school.

I loved the looks on the faces of the couple. I always admired the eagerness and excitement to spend the rest of their lives together, I loved the decorations in the hall and mostly, the idea of it all.

A wedding isn't just an event, it's a promise. It's a promise between two people who have chosen to stay together for life and have vowed to not give up on each other.

I looked forward to weddings. I used to dream of mine too. I always pictured the man in my head as we said our vows to each other.

How could I forget the vows? Those are my favourite parts, especially when they're the emotional kind. The vows always made me tear up.

In summary, I loved weddings until today.

Why?

Because it's my dad and Ann's wedding. Yes, you heard me right.

Ann and my dad are getting married barely two weeks after my mom died.

It was an intimate ceremony. They had no other choice than to only invite a few people because they know that other people won't support them.

It's barbaric to get married less than a month after your wife died, don't you think? Let's not forget that the bride was the best friend of the deceased. They know that what they're doing is wrong.

I watched them in the temple as they said their vows to each other. I had to attend. I sat there at the back, trying to keep myself from puking.

Everyone else was dressed in their classy gowns and suits. I didn't dress up. That would be an insult to my mother. I just wore a top and jeans. My outfit basically screamed "I don't want to be here"

"Do you take Ann Jordan to be your lawfully wedded wife?" the chief priest asked them "To love and to hold. In sickness and in health"

My dad looked at Ann lovingly "I do"

The worst part was that I could actually see the love in his eyes. Did he never care about my mom?

Was he in love with Ann this whole time?

"You may kiss the bride" the priest said.

Ann and my dad kissed passionately. Everyone cheered.

I shook my head in disgust.

My mom didn't deserve this. She married a man who didn't deserve her at all. She was too good to be associated with either of them. I can't believe they actually betrayed her this way.

After the wedding, they held the reception in our house.

It didn't involve too much. We had a huge living room and corridor that could hold about thirty people.

People just mingled and talked while they congratulated the happy couple.

I had no choice but to play the part I was supposed to. I attended to the guests and served them food.

I didn't miss the commiserative glances they threw at me when I served them. No doubt, they imagined what I was going through but they couldn't do anything.

All these people were mainly family and a few close friends. Most of these people attended my mom's burial. They're all a bunch of hypocrites in my opinion.

I went to the kitchen to get more cupcakes to serve the guests. I was packing them onto a tray when Jack entered the kitchen.

My heart rate sped up.

Ever since that encounter we had that night, I had been avoiding him like the plague. I didn't know how to act around him.

"Hey sexy" he said.

I ignored him, still doing what I was when he came in.

He came closer to me. I could feel his breath on my body. It felt as if insects crawled up my skin.

He whispered into my ear "I'll have you one day, baby. It's a promise"

He kissed my cheek. I shuddered at the contact.

He grabbed a cupcake, winked at me then left.

*

On Monday, I did some chores and got ready for school as usual. I was just on my way out the door when a voice stopped me.

"And where are you going?"

It was Ann. I turned around. She sat on the dining table smoking a cigarette.

"Um..." I trailed "School"

"Who's going to take care of all the chores in the house?"

After the wedding on Saturday, they had another event to celebrate their wedding yesterday. We didn't even get to finish up cleaning on Saturday. I barely slept due to all the preparations.

I just thought when I come back from school, I'll do it all.

"I'll do it when I'm back from school"

"Not a chance. You're not going to school today. You have work to do"

Who does she think she is? She can't stop me from going to school.

"But-"

"But nothing, young lady. Or do you want me to involve your father into this?"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. My father will never support me.

There's nothing I can do at this point. It looks like I'm not going to school today.

Tyler's POV

I look at my watch for the tenth time today. It's already 12 o'clock yet there's no sign of my mate.

I've scanned the room about a hundred times. I even checked round the school yet there was no sign of her. She obviously didn't come to school today.

Why?

Was she sick?

I couldn't help but worry about her. We had such a good time on Friday. I looked forward too seeing her today. It was all I could think about all weekend.

We were having a test and I couldn't even focus.

"Are you okay?" Stephanie asked from beside me.

"Yeah. I'm just looking for Cathy"

Stephanie frowned "Why are you looking for her?"

I ignored her. Stephanie is the least of my problems.

Stephanie shook her head "Whatever"

I thought about Catherine. As the time passed, I got more and more worried.

Where could she be?