Chapter 26

I looked at the moon. It shined brightly in the sky as it casted a silver glow over the dark forest.

It's getting late. The moon is out already which means werewolves or other kinds of shifters might come out any time.

Logan and I dashed through the trees. Even though I had defeated the guards, I kept looking over my shoulder. I still felt scared and shaken due to the events that occurred earlier.

My heart pounder loudly in my chest as we moved.

What the hell just happened?

How did I even do all those things?

Each time, I learn more and more about my powers. I get confused each time this happens.

"Kitty" Logan whined "I'm tired"

We ran for what seemed like hours to the point where his legs started to pain him. I had no choice but to place him on my back.

"Sorry buddy" I said "We'll be there soon"

He rested his head on my back. I felt sorry for him. He must be exhausted.

Our breaths came in ragged gasps as we fled.

Since it was night already, the forest started to come alive with the sounds of rustling leaves and chirping crickets.

Finally, we both reached the edge of the woods.

I sighed in relief. We're lucky to have made it out alive without being attacked by creatures.

I could sight my grandmother's cottage nestled among some trees.

I decided it was safer for us to come here. My maternal grandmother is the only person I can trust at this point since my aunt lives far away.

A sense of peace filled my veins because I knew we were safe at last.

I knocked on the door a few times.

After some seconds, a voice responded from inside.

"Who is it?" a familiar voice asked from inside.

I smiled. It was my grandmother.

"It's Catherine" I responded.

The front door flew open immediately. My grandmother stood there.

I looked at her with a smile.

Her silver hair gleamed in the moonlight.

"Oh dear" She said "Come in"

She ushered us inside. I could see that her face was etched with worry and relief.

I placed Logan on a chair to sleep before I collapsed onto another couch.

I breathed heavily.

"What happened, dear?" my grandmother asked me.

"Granny" I panted "T-they... they were trying to kill me"

I couldn't help the tears that streamed down my cheeks.

A lot of things had happened:

- Tyler stopped talking to me for no reason. Not only that, he moved on to Stephanie so quickly.

- I found out that I have magical powers and I'm from an ancient clan that's in hiding.

-My step mom and my dad tried to kill me. I can't believe my dad would do this to me.

"Why?" my grandma asked. She took a seat on the chair next to me.

With tears in my eyes, I recounted everything that happened to her, right from when I found out about the book and when the wolves attacked me down to what happened before we came here.

My grandmother's eyes darkened with anger. She shook her head.

"I knew a day like this would come, Cathie," she said "Your mother always feared for your safety. That's one of the reasons she didn't tell you the truth about who you were. I told her to tell you but she was waiting for the right time There's more to your life than you know, dear"

I looked at my grandmom in confusion "You knew about this?"

"Of course. It wasn't in my place to say anything. There are a lot of secrets surrounding this matter"

I became even more confused at her words "What do you mean, Granny? What secret?"

My grandmother sighed.

"Give me a minute" she said.

She entered inside the house. After a few seconds, she came back.

She was holding an old chest in her hands. She sat down next to me and opened the chest.

From inside it, she retrieved a beautiful necklace then handed it over to me.

I stared at the gold necklace in awe. It was so beautiful.

It was adorned with a pendant that held my mother's face in it. I looked at

"Is that my mom?" I asked her.

"No, my dear. That's her great grand mother"

"Wow" I breathed in shock.

I ran my finger over the picture as I stared at it in admiration. They could pass as twins.

"This necklace, my dear" My grand mother said "has been passed down through our family for generations. It holds a lot of now, it is meant for you. Your mother was the guardian of this. Now, it's your turn."

My fingers trembled as she held the necklace in her hands. Call me crazy but I could feel a strange warmth emanating from it.

I looked up at her grandmother. My emotions were a mixture of confusion and curiosity. It seemed like there was way more to what I knew. I want to learn more.

"What does it do? " I whispered.

Her grandmother smiled softly "You'll find out soon enough. It'll will come in handy soon, Cathie. I want you to promise me one thing, my child,"

"What is it?"

"Do not sign anything or perform any ritual. In fact, do not trust anyone w unless you are absolutely certain of their intentions. This necklace has the power to change the course of your life, for better or worse."

I nodded solemnly, clutching the necklace tightly.

I felt a newfound sense of purpose and responsibility wash over her.

The events of tonight had opened my eyes to the dangers that lurked in her own family.

Im determined to uncover the secrets left by my mom.

"I want to know everything, grandma" I said to her "Will you tell me?"

My grandma cupped my cheek in her hands "I would but it's getting late. You should get some sleep my dear"

She leaned in and kissed my forehead.

As soon as she did that, my eyes fluttered closed. I fell into a deep sleep.