Chapter 20

The book can help me figure out this whole scenario. The issue at the moment is where to find it.

My mom kept the book hidden in one of her drawers but now that Ann has taken over her room, I don't know the whereabouts of the book. I haven't read that book in years.

My mom only read it to me a few times. The few times she read its contents to me weren't for pleasure. She read the contents to teach me some things about wolves.

Where could it be?

I have to think of possible places to search. I can't just go to their room clueless. I'm sneaking in so I have to be fast. If they catch me, only the moon goddess knows what they'll do to me.

I have to think. First, I'll check the drawers. Maybe my dad didn't change the location. If the drawer is locked, I can always pick it with my hair pin. My mom taught me how to do that in case of an emergency and if I'm trapped somewhere that I need to get out of immediately.

If I don't find it in the drawers, I'll check under the bed.

If I can't find it under the bed, I'll check my dad's wardrobe. If it's not in the wardrobe then... It's probably not in the room.

If it's not in the room, it probably means Ann threw it away. I'm sure she got rid of all my mother's belongings as soon as she moved in. She's obsessed with being the mistress of the house. She wants to replace my mother so bad.

I have to be fast while doing this. Logan is sleeping. If not, I would have begged him to help me keep watch. I don't want to wake him. He had a long day at school.

I guess I'll have to do this all on my own then.

"Catherine!" Ann's voice brought me out of my thoughts.

I flinched in fear. I wasn't expecting her.

"Yes ma'am" I answered.

She stood at the kitchen door, glaring at me.

"Where's your head at? I've been calling you for a while now"

"I'm sorry. My head must have been stuck in the clouds"

"As usual. Let me guess. You're plotting your next lie or your next attention seeking act? Give it up. Your mom's gone. I'm in charge now and there's nothing you can do about it"

"Yes ma'am"

"Good. When you're done with the dishes, you'll go upstairs and fold the laundry in my room"

I almost squealed in delight. This just made my plan easier. It was like giving candy to a baby.

She's unknowingly helping me with my plan. Now, I have a valid excuse to go to her room. I don't have to sneak around anymore.

This is great!.

"Why are you smiling?" Ann asked me.

"Oh nothing. I'm just happy that I have something to keep me occupied. Don't worry, I'll go and fold your laundry as soon as I'm done with the dishes"

Ann squinted her eyes at me. It's as if she knew I was up to something.

I could care less what she thought. No matter her assumptions, she can't prove anything.

"Very well then. Hurry up"

"Okay"

After that, she left. I hurriedly finished up with the dishes.

When I was done, I made my way upstairs. Luckily for me, Ann was watching TV in the living room. I still have to be fast because she can come up any moment. She will be suspicious if she catches me snooping around.

I checked the usual drawer where it was but it wasn't there. Damn it!

I got on my knees and searched under the bed. I removed all the boxes and checked them one by one. It wasn't there either.

I checked my dad's wardrobe. Iw was greeted by hangers filled with clothes. I checked every single place inside. The book wasn't there.

I'm at a dead end.

Where could it be?

Could Ann really have thrown it away?

I scanned the room for any clues. I can't give up that easily.

My eyes came across a new drawer in the corner of the room. If I didn't look carefully enough, I could have missed it. I guess Ann and my dad just got it made recently.

I tried to open the drawer but it was locked. I took the bobby pin out of my hair and inserted it inside the lock. Slowly, I turned the pin around until it made a click sound.

I opened the drawer. The book was inside.

I squealed cheerfully. I can't take it to my room. They might find out and that will make everything worse. I decided to scan through it quickly to see what I could learn.

It was a brown leather book. It was really big. I assume it has about three to four hundred pages.

I opened it to read through it. Inside, I saw the history of different kinds of wolves that I didn't know existed. These wolves were ancient packs and clans. They all had distinctive features according to the group they belonged too.

The history was aided with pictures of these wolves.

Each chapter unveiled a new era. I know I said I was going to scan but I got intrigued by the contents of the book.

It was more interesting than I imagined.

It also explained tales of ancient civilizations that worshipped wolves as Supreme beings. It also told stories of times when humans and wolves lived together in haemoney. I never knew something like this happened.

In another page, I saw the Tryhan Clan that Greg was telling me about. He wasn't lying. The pictures in the book matched the wolves I saw today. The book stated how dangerous they were and how they attack people who possess special attributes in them.

I was getting deeper into it when the door opened.

An angry looking Ann stepped into the room.

Shit.

I am so busted.