Chapter 21

I came face to face with a furious looking Ann.

"What are you doing?" she screamed at me.

"Uh...."

Think of a lie.

Think of a lie.

I have to think of something fast. If not, I'm going to get punished.

"I was cleaning your room and I stumbled across this"

"Ha! Nice try. Do you think I'm that stupid? I know that drawer was locked. You picked it with a pin, didn't you?"

"Uh"

I didn't know what to do. She's already caught me in the act so it's impossible for me to lie now.

"I knew you'd snoop around" Ann said "That's the reason I came upstairs"

Ann turned away and left. I knew she would come back soon so I managed to glance through the book as quickly as I could.

When I flipped the pages, I saw a circular mark. I recognized it immediately. It's the same mark I had on my back. My mom had is too. It's our birth mark.

I also noticed a name inside the chapter; Caroline James.

I gasped.

That's my mother's name.

Is this chapter about us? Does this mean I have secret origins that I don't know of?

Why is my mom's name here?

Who wrote this book?

I have so many questions.

I was about to read more until I heard the door rattle. I quickly put the book backin the drawer before locking it.

I stood up straight just in time to see Ann.

"I'll teach you a lesson" Ann said to me.

She pulled me by my arm and led me outside the room. I was confused.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked her.

"You'll soon see. I will have to take the rebel out of you. You'll soon learn how to behave"

She dragged me all the way down the corridor. I tried pulling my hand away from her. Wherever she's taking me, is for me to be punished. I'm sure of it.

The last time I was locked up, I was unable to care for Logan. I can't leave him alone again.

"Stop struggling!" Ann hissed "You're only making things worse"

"Please! I have to take care of Logan"

"You should have thought of that before misbehaving. Don't worry, your brother will be just fine"

She led me to a door down the hallway. She opened it and pushed me inside it.

Before I could struggle, she closed it and locked it shut. I know this room. Nobody ever uses it. It's where my mom used to keep items she didn't really have use for.

The room was dark and very dusty.

I coughed repeatedly. I could barely breathe in here.

I banged on the door with my fists "Let me out!"

I banged some more. I didn't expect Ann to answer me but it was worth a try.

"Please" I cried "Please, let me out"

After banging for what felt like hours, my hands started to hurt. I slid to the floor and let all the tears out.

I feel like such a failure. I can't even protect my brother.

What would me mom think of me?

Who's going to take care of him while I'm in here?

I sniffled, wiping my tears away. A lot was happening all at once.

I miss Logan.

I miss my mom.

I miss Tyler.

Tyler was the only person who could make me feel better. He's probably having fun with Stephanie now. He's not thinking about me anymore.

The thought of it made my cries more intense. I choked on my sobs.

Oh Tyler.

I'll do anything to have you back! I just wish I had a way to convince him that the lies he heard about me weren't true.

I've been avoiding the darkness ever since Jack did what he did to me. Any time I'm in the dark, I get flashbacks of what happened that night.

I can't escape it.

I could still feel Jack's hands on mine, pining me down to the bed so I couldn't move. I remembered how I struggled against him. I remembered how he hit me in the head, rendering me unconscious.

I cried out louder.

It felt as if someone was stabbing my heart with knives. There was an ache in my chest that refused to go away.

I miss Tyler so much. He's the only person that could have made me feel better.

I hate my life so much.

Wouldn't it be better for everyone if I just died?

The world would be much better that way. Nobody would miss me, after all. It's not as if I had any friends.

My dad would be happy.

Tyler wouldn't care. He has Stephanie.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll be reunited with my mom again. We'll live happy ever after. No one will be able to separate us anymore.

I'll be happy.

The only person who would suffer was Logan. Ann would use the opportunity to maltreat him just like she's doing to me. He won't have anyone to fight for him in this world.

I closed my eyes, letting more tears fall freely down my cheeks.

I'm just tired. I'll do anything to ease the ache in my chest and the emptiness in my heart.

Why is this happening to me?

Thoughts of what I read in the book crept into my head. I tried to make sense of what I read. However, everything felt a bit complicated.

I always thought the circular mark on my back was just a stupid birth mark. Could it symbolize something more?

Could it be part of the special characteristics that Greg and the book were referring to?

If it's something special, how come my mom never told me anything about it?

She has been in possession of the book for decades. She's obviously read it many times. She of all people should have known if I had any unique attributes that someone would try to harness.

I opened my eyes in realization.

Could this be linked to the reason she died?

Did my dad or Ann know?

I won't be surprised if one of them did and tried to kill her for her powers.

It was said that my mom was in a bank which caught fire. It was all over the news. The police even identified her body.

She wasn't murdered. Could someone have still been behind it?

I struggled to keep my eyes open. All the thoughts I'm having along with how much I've cried made me sleepy.

Soon enough, I gave in to the darkness.