Chapter 7: Best Friends

Comenzar desde el principio

I shrugged, "Don't remember. Maybe a conference? I could ask but..." I trailed off, not knowing what to say.

Garcia turned for me to zip the new dress and I did, watching her twirl in the mirror. "Are you sure this is just a fling?"

"Yeah, why? It's just casual sex. People can do that, Garcia." I teased, "It's like how you and Morgan flirt but we actually do stuff afterwards."

She stuck her tongue out at me, "You just don't normally talk about your 'just sex' partners like this. Or much at all. And you don't wear their clothes."

"I forgot, Garcia, okay? It's not a big deal." I tried to deny what she was saying, but part of me knew she was right. "We're just friends, and it's not going to ever be more than that."

Because it can't be, I reminded myself. It's not happening.

"Fine. But when I get my invitation to your wedding, I'm saying I told you so." She teased.

"Garcia!" I exclaimed, louder than I'd intended. Then, quieter, "We are not getting married."

"Sure, hot stuff." She winked at me. She put on her new glasses and heels, then turned to face me, "Better?"

I nodded. "Quintessentially you, while being a bit more versatile. Perfect."

She smiled. "Thank you, really. I don't know what I'd you without you."

"Show up to dates looking like a strawberry at midnight, that's what," I teased.

She walked over to her computer set up, a sticky note on one of the screens catching her eye. "Oh! Right, I almost forgot. I should update your server security at some point soon. It won't mess with the functions, you just said you wanted it to stay completely up to date."

"And you won't be able to access any of the data?" I double checked. I always did before she updated it.

"Nope! As long as it all runs smoothly, all I have to do is press enter."

"Cool, go ahead then, whenever works." I shrugged, "I have some stuff to add but I'll do it after."

She shook her head, "Do it before, if anything goes wrong it'll be down for a couple days and I know how regularly you clear that extra phone of yours."

"What about me don't you know, Garcia?" I sighed, unzipping my purse to get my phone.

"The name of your newest – ahem – friend, that's what."

"And you will never know." I quickly uploaded Reid's list and the few pictures to the server, then nodded. "Go ahead and update it now."

She nodded and started the update, then turned to me and held out her hand. "Wipe it and give it to me, I should update that as well while I'm at it and you're here. Easier than forcing it at HQ, they always make a fuss."

I chuckled, clearing the phone quickly and handing it to her, "That's because you go through several of their security systems and force-run several programs, Pen."

She shrugged, "Not my fault they're boring."

I laughed, sitting back as she plugged in my phone. I honestly wasn't sure exactly how it was encrypted, but she swore to me the data was safe, and I trusted her. She had to been impressive to get the FBI's attention after all, and we all trusted her.

A minute or two later, my work phone buzzed in my bag. Deep in thought, the sound surprised me, and I jumped, hitting the table and knocking my bag over. It fell, and my work phone fell out of it. And the things I'd grabbed from the bags at Spencer's. And the box.

I leapt up, trying to shove them all back in my purse, but Garcia snatched up the box before I could and began inspecting it. Luckily, these came in plain, unmarked boxes, but there was no easy way to explain if she opened it.

"This looks suspiciously like a ring box." She teased. "A somewhat oversized ring box, but... maybe your new boyfriend is a giant?"

"It's... it's not what you think. Just give it back." I held out my hand.

She wiggled her eyebrows, "Not until you tell me what it is."

"None of your business, Garcia."

"C'mon!" She complained, "Tell me or I won't give it back." She held it out of my reach.

I searched for a lie. Ring box, in my bag, unmarked, "It's a ring. For a friend of mine. I picked it up for them. They're planning on proposing but they have one of those tracking apps so I volunteered to pick it up so her partner wouldn't see." Yeah, that works.

She smiled and handed it to me, "Do I know this friend of yours?"

I shook my head, "I have a little bit of a social life outside of work, Pen. It's an old friend of mine, I'm just going them a favor."

"If you say so!" Her tone told me she didn't believe me, but it was a good enough cover up for now.

I grabbed my work phone to check the message, but it was just a request from Hotch to send the files back. "I should go, Hotch sent me some paperwork he wants done, I want to finish it before we start a new case."

She nodded, unplugging my other phone and handing it to me. "I will meet this friend of yours someday, won't I?"

I forced a smile. "No promises, Garcia. Let me know how your date goes!"

Before I could mess anything else up, I left.