Chapter 47

A/N- hello! and here's another chapter for you. i'm realising this story is getting very long ahaha. whoops. anyways, this chapter doesn't have much action, and for the moment i'm just following the book, but scenes of my own will be coming shortly!

please comment here any suggestions or questions you might have!!! enjoy the story :)

———————

Word Count: 2084

The Dursley's departure was not one of tearful goodbyes, but rather of begrudging handshakes and irritated glances. Once they were gone, Harry and I wandered about the house, reliving old memories in silence.  I stood in the middle of our now abnormally clean bedroom while Harry was downstairs staring into the cupboard under the stairs where the both of us used to sleep for eleven years before our first trip to Hogwarts.

Though we were halfway across the house from each other, my thoughts were with him and his with me as we strolled through the house in which we had spent many nights going to bed hungry or facing far worse punishments from our dearest Aunt and Uncle. I was quite thrilled to be rid of the place with all it's awful memories, and felt no remorse in knowing I was never to return again.

I was starting towards the kitchen to put handprints on Petunia's pristine appliances, and just as I walked past Harry leaning over something inside the cupboard under the stairs, there was a deafening roar from outside. Startled by the sound, Harry straightened so abruptly that he smacked his head on the low hanging ceiling of the cupboard. I let out an unrestrained roar of laughter, to which he responded by chucking a small toy at my face while clutching the back of his head and muttering a few of Uncle Vernon's choicest swear words. He walked toward the door to allow whoever it was to enter while I trailed behind him, still silently chuckling to myself.

Rather than going to the door with Harry, I first went to the kitchen window where I could see figures popping into existence one by one as their Disillusionment Charms fell. Hagrid towered over everyone else, and was easily seen against the orange glow of the horizon and its setting sun. He was standing beside an abnormally large motorcycle, while the others were clutching brooms or standing near large winged beasts I knew to be Thestrals. I jogged back to the front door just as Harry flung it open to greet the familiar, battle worn faces of our friends.

Before my smile could finish making its way across my lips, a body slammed into mine while making a general cry of greeting, and I received a mouthful of the unruly brown hair belonging to my best friend. I immediately let my hands grip the back of her light pink jumper like a lifeline while breathing in the sweet vanilla scent of her shampoo and the faint smell of jasmine from her perfume. I wasn't entirely sure why, but I had the feeling she was in desperate need of a real embrace rather than our usual side hugs and cheek pecks, and wasn't surprised when she returned the hug with just as much ferocity.

"Hey, 'Mione," I say as she pulls back to look at me.

"Hey, Y/n." she answers, beaming at me, then turning to hug Harry as Ron wraps me in a short hug with both of his lanky arms, grinning down at me in the process.

"Change of plan," said Mad-Eye Moody from the door beside Harry, holding two bags stuffed to the brim. At the sight, I remembered immediately what Remus had told me not too long ago without Harry's knowledge. Not making him privy to the information was smart, seeing as he would not take it well anyway. "Let's get undercover before we discuss it."

Harry and I led them into the kitchen where they placed themselves atop counters, tables, and chairs. I couldn't help but think of what the expression on Petunia's face would be if she were here to witness such a sight.