Chapter 44

A/N- AAHHHHHHH 100,000 READS OMG THANK YOU. And look at me, updating left and right. Granted, this is a bit of a filler, but that's technically two updates in one day since I posted the previous one this morning at 1 ish. That's also three in like four days! The next chapter will likely be the last of the Half-Blood Prince, and then we're on to the Deathly Hallows! Anyways, thank you so much for 100k. Enjoy!

Word Count: 617

Despite my fatigue, a scream of horror escaped my lips as a few stray tears slipped over my pale cheeks, and a dejected whimper followed my cry. The scene repeated in my head over and over like a broken record. The flash of violent green light, the body of my mentor flying backwards, and the way it had seemed he stayed suspended under the Dark Mark in some twisted example of a metaphor before he plummeted out of sight. All I could do was stare at the spot he had once stood, as alive and regal as ever despite his slightly sickly appearance. I was barely aware of the bodies shuffling around me, the Death Eaters trying to make their hasty escape. I looked away from the spot on the wall of the astronomy tower only to look into the watery and pain filled grey eyes of the love of my life. He looked into my eyes, then to my trembling lower lip. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't muster an encouraging look, nor one of love. I knew I'd likely not see him for a long time, if ever again, but my mind was still consumed by the pain and terror of what had just occurred. I was undeniably grateful it hadn't been him to kill the Professor, but I worried what he and his family would face when they met Voldemort next.

And Snape... Oh how desperately I wanted to hex him to hell and back then to hell again. Once I looked away from Draco, my eyes followed the potions master turned Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher with pure unbridled rage. He didn't look back, though I knew he could feel my gaze burning into the back of his greasy head. The other Death Eaters followed him, leaving me slumped on the ground with ropes still binding my wrists. My wand lay on the ground some five feet away, but I lacked the energy to even inch towards it.

As the last two Death Eaters left through the entryway, a voice hissed off to the side and he went board stiff. The other followed in his example a few seconds later before she could call out or make any noise of surprise. My brother with his familiar mop of messy dark hair appeared from below, wand drawn and face contorted in fury. He quickly cuts my bonds then holds my clammy face in his hands.

"Are you okay?" he asks. A stupid question, really, I think. I nod anyway, wondering if he knows what happened. He looks down for a moment with his brows furrowed, then envelopes me in a hug. He was gentler than usual, which led me to believe he saw everything. Including my torture. "I'm so sorry. I should've never left you." he whispers. I melt into the embrace, planting my face in his shoulder as he brings a hand up to hold the back of my head. He could likely feel me trembling with rage, sadness, and pain, but said nothing about it.

"Go get him." I croak, but my words are muffled by Harry's sweater.

"What?"

"Go get him," I repeat forcefully through grit teeth. Harry blinks, then nods before clambering over the paralysed bodies of the two Death Eaters he'd hexed moments ago. I simply watched him leave through bleary eyes, images of everything from that night flooding my already distraught and overloaded mind. I wanted nothing more than to sleep, but even if I was in a safe place, I knew it would never come. Scenes of death and destruction would linger behind my eyelids no matter where I went.

And I deserved it.