Chapter 4

Word Count: 2267

A few days later, I walked through the halls with Hermione, Ron, and Harry after the boys had finished Quidditch practice. We were walking to their common room, which I happen to visit on a regular basis. We were talking about our Charms lesson from earlier in the day when Harry decided to change the subject.

"How was Slughorn's recent party, Hermione?" he asked. I snickered. Harry and I had also been invited, but had slipped out of it once again. The time before, we didn't have to go because of another lesson with Dumbledore. The time before that, Harry and I both had detention with Snape because we gave him 'cheek'. I didn't regret anything, he deserved it. All I did was defend Harry, but Snape just plain loathes me. We always had some sort of excuse not to attend anything for the 'Slug Club'.

"It was quite fun, really," Hermione replied. "He drones on about his famous ex-pupils a bit, and fawns on McLaggen because he's so well connected, but he gave us some nice food and introduced us to Gwenog Jones."

"Gwenog Jones?" Ron said, his eyes widening. "The Gwenog Jones? As in, the captain of the Holyhead Harpies?"

"Yes," Hermione said. "Personally, I thought she was a bit full of herself." Ron continued to gape at her, while I just smirked at how they acted around each other. "Slughorn will be throwing a Christmas party soon. Neither of you will be able to escape this time. He had me check both your schedules to be sure he set a night you're free," Hermione added. I sigh.

"Alright then. I suppose it won't be dreadful," I respond, looking at Harry. He just shrugs.

"This is another party just for Slughorn's favourites?" Ron asked in an annoyed tone.

"Just for the Slug Club, yes," she told him. She looks about to say something else, but Ron cuts her off.

"'Slug Club,'" Ron repeated with a sneer worthy of Malfoy. "How pathetic. I hope you enjoy your party then, Hermione. Why don't you hook up with McLaggen, then Slughorn can make you King and Queen Slug—"

"We're allowed to bring guests," Hermione cut him off, and had for some reason turned scarlet in the face, "and I was going to ask you to come with me, but if you think it's so pathetic then I won't bother!" Ron's face went blank. He opened his mouth then closed it again like a fish.

"You were going to ask me?" Ron asked, finally deciding what to say.

"Yes," Hermione said angrily. "But if you would rather I 'hook up with McLaggen...'" Ron stays silent for a moment, looking at the ground.

"No, I wouldn't," he says in an extremely quiet voice. I turn my head, and see Harry looking very uncomfortable. I roll my eyes.

"Do you have any idea who you'd want to take to the party, Harry?" I ask, turning to my brother who was looking surprised at the suddenness of my voice.

"Excuse me?" he asked.

"I asked if you know who you want to take to the party," I repeated myself. He seems to grimace slightly before answering.

"No, I don't really know. What about you?" An idea flashed in my mind, and I scolded myself silently for even thinking it.

"No, I haven't an idea yet. I'll have to speak with Hermione about it." Harry raised his eyebrow at me, but I pretend not to notice.

"Speak with me about what?" Hermione asks.

"Who I will invite to Slughorn's party," I answer. She smirks.

"Oooh. Who do you want to go with?" she asks. I roll my eyes at her.

"I have no clue," I lie. There is someone I would like to invite, but it would never happen.