Chapter 37

A/N- Two chapters??? In one day??? Neither of which are edited??? Damn right. Aren't I the best author :) Enjoy!

Word Count: 864

Y/n's POV:

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I exclaim in an exasperated whisper, throwing myself down on the armchair beside Hermione in the back corner of the library.

"Well, controlling darkness does sound pretty wicked if you ask me." Ron says with a shrug. I had just joined them in their studying that morning, and explained what Dumbledore had told me about this. Ron was doing a horrible job at trying to finish his essay for Snape while the other two were talking about how to get Slughorn's memory before I walked in to tell them what Dumbledore said.

"It's definitely not 'wicked'. It sucks and I want it to go away." I grumble, not meeting anyone's eyes as I lay my chin on my forearm. Rather than looking at the three of them, I turn my eyes to the shelves of the empty library, getting distracted by a book titled '300 Ways to Vanish' before a loud Crack broke through my daze. Kreature the house elf stood in his grubby loincloth, falling into a deep bow upon seeing Harry. Ron spilled his ink, and Hermione nearly jumped through the roof.

"Kreature!" Harry said, gripping the edge of the table to keep from falling backwards in his chair. A split second later, another crack sounded, and Dobby appeared beside Kreature in his much more presentable clothing of a brightly coloured sweater and a tea cozy hat.

"Master wanted regular updates on what the Malfoy boy was doing, so Kreature has come to give-"

"Dobby has been helping too, Harry Potter! Though Kreature should tell Dobby when he is coming to see Harry Potter so they can make their reports together." Dobby adds with a distasteful look in Kreature's direction.

"Hello, Dobby." I say fondly, grinning at the house elf from my seat. "Hello, Kreature." I add, also with a respectful smile, but not even close to as genuine. I try, but that elf gets on my nerves sometimes. "Kreature, what did you say about updates on 'the Malfoy boy'?" I ask, smile fading as I turn toward Harry as well for an explanation, but he just looks down.

"What is this? What's going on?" Hermione asks, looking almost as confused as I was. Harry paused, but eventually sighed.

"They've been following Malfoy for me." he says, looking horribly embarrassed. I sigh as well, burying my face in my hands. He really doesn't learn, does he?

"How many times do I have to say this to get it through that thick skull of yours? He hasn't done anything wrong." I say, lying through my teeth. I know there's something he must do, and I know it can't be good, but it's nothing we won't be able to handle, and nothing I can't talk him out of. He still refuses to tell me anymore than he showed me that night, and we hardly speak of anything similar to it, but I trust me and my friends can figure it. We always do. Until then, I can't let him get in trouble. It could mean far worse than detention.

"He could be. You can't tell me he hasn't done anything even slightly suspicious in your eyes." Harry defends, practically pleading for me to agree with him.

"So what if he has? That isn't proof, and if he were up to something, wouldn't he have told me?" I exclaim, throwing my hands into the air for emphasis per usual. He did tell me, but Harry doesn't know that.

"Kreature, Dobby, update me later." The house elves both disappeared with yet another crack, and Harry dragged me to a farther corner of the library.
"Have you ever thought that, maybe, he doesn't tell you everything?" Harry starts sarcastically in a whisper.

"No matter how much you want to believe he's a bad person just 'cause he hurt your feelings, I don't want to hear it."

"Well, you're going to hear it whether you like it or not because you need to listen to me." I cross my arms over my chest, but don't say anything. He takes that as an invitation to continue. "This has nothing to do with how I feel about Malfoy," I purposely fail to hold back a humourless laugh, which he ignores completely. "But it has to do with how he feels about you." he says while looking at the floor. "Have you ever thought that he wouldn't tell you this stuff, not because he's untrustworthy, but because he doesn't want to lose you?" Oddly enough, what my brother said made some sense, but not enough. Draco didn't keep his status from me. But maybe he only told me because that was as much as he felt safe telling me. He hasn't explained what this 'task' he's been assigned is.

"I still don't like you tailing my boyfriend," I say with a defeated sigh. He just chuckles.

"Sorry for not telling you." he says, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

"You mean sorry for stalking him in general? Apology accepted." I say with a quirked eyebrow.

"Yeah, sure. That doesn't mean I'm gonna stop though."
"Isn't that what 'sorry' means?"