Chapter 3

Word Count: 1715

Y/n's POV:

I walked with Hermione to our combined Potions class.

"It's unfortunate Harry didn't get into N.E.W.T. Potions. He really wanted to be an Auror," Hermione mused. I just nodded. I was also interested in becoming an Auror, and worked hard in all my classes to reach that goal.

We stepped into the dungeons a few minutes early. Slughorn shook my hand, and attempted to start another conversation, but I made sure to slip out of it as soon as possible without seeming rude. Hermione and I stood with our other classmates that had arrived already, waiting for class to begin. Soon, Professor Slughorn stood in front of us. He conjured up two cauldrons.

"Hello, students. Today we will be—" Slughorn started cheerfully, but was interrupted by Harry and Ron entering the classroom noisily. "Oh, hello, Harry. I wasn't aware you would be joining my class," he greeted. I watched Harry awkwardly nod his head.

"I hope it's not too late. Oh, and this is my friend Ron. He would like to join, as well." Harry explained, nodding in the direction of a scowling Ronald Weasley.

"Yeah, but I suck, so I'll just be..." Ron said, turning around, and attempting to leave the class. Harry stopped him.

"It's not a problem, not at all, we'll teach you. Any friend of yours is a friend of mine. Just pull out your books and join the rest of the class," Slughorn said.

"Er, well sir, we don't exactly have books. We weren't exactly expecting to take this class," Harry told him sheepishly.

"Not to worry. There are some extra books in the cupboard." Slughorn turned his attention back to the class as Harry and Ron went to find a textbook. I saw them fight for a second, then Harry came out with a tattered book, and Ron with a brand new one. Harry hit him with the old book and I snickered.

"Could you tell me what is in this cauldron, Miss Potter?" Slughorn asked me, noticing my grin. I cleared my throat and stepped forward slightly to get a better look.

"Amortentia. I can tell by the coloured wisps of smoke," I deduced.

"Very good. Five points to Slytherin. Can you tell us anything else about this specific potion, Miss Potter?"

"Well, for one thing, it is very tricky to make," I thought about what else I had read about it. "Amortentia has different smells for everyone according to what they love. For example; I smell lavender, rain, and... citrus," I explained, saying the last part in a questioning tone. I didn't understand what I had smelled that was citrus. I stepped back, deciding that it didn't matter.

"Excellent, Miss Potter. Ten more points to Slytherin," Slughorn said. "This other one here is the Draught of Death, which you will be making today. For a prize." Everyone snapped to attention.

"What kind of prize?" Malfoy asked, giving his usual smirk. I rolled my eyes, and he saw. "What was that about, huh?" Malfoy asked me.

"I was just thinking how you only care about the prize, not actually trying to do your best." I retorted smartly, crossing my arms over my chest. Malfoy seemed about to throw something rude back, but Slughorn cut in.

"Now, now, there's no need to fuss. I was getting to that, Mr. Malfoy, but there is more to this activity than the reward." It was my turn to smirk. Malfoy just scoffed, and glared at me. "The prize is one, small bottle, of Felix Felicis," Slughorn explained.

"Liquid luck," Hermione said next to me. I nodded.

"Yes, Miss...?" Slughorn questioned.

"Granger, sir," Hermione provided.