Chapter 16

A/N- Final Christmas chapter, I swear! I added in the bit from the movie, but I haven't seen it in ages, so please let me know if anything is really different. Enjoy!

Word count: 1440

Y/n POV:

I sat at the table for breakfast next to Harry and Ginny. Before she took her seat beside me, Ginny looked at Harry and giggled.

"Harry, you've got a maggot in your hair," she says, reaching to pick it out. Harry's face burned crimson, and I smirked at the pair. Fleur, Bill's inhumanely gorgeous fiancé with shimmering blonde hair and flawless pale skin, went on about how disgusting the maggot was, while I just grinned at the red haired girl walking to sit beside me.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself," I whispered to Ginny as she sat down. Her cheeks flushed pink as she mumbled a haste 'shut up'.

"That's a beautiful necklace you've got there, Y/n." Ginny says, much louder than necessary. Before I can tell her off, Harry turns to examine my neck with peaked curiosity.

"That really is amazing. Where did you get it?" he asks.

"It was a gift," I reply simply, obviously not wanting to give anymore information.

"From who?" he questions. Ginny giggles and I shoot her a quick glare before figuring out what to say.

"No one. It doesn't matter." I answer with a dismissive wave of my hand. "I'll help you carry those, Molly," I add quickly, standing to help Mrs. Weasley with her slowly toppling pile of breakfast plates.

"Thank you, dear, but I've got it. You go sit down." she answers warmly, but I quickly shake my head with a charming smile plastered on my lips.

"I insist." I take a couple plates in both of my hands setting one down at Harry's spot, then Ginny's, but I take special care to spill some of her eggs onto the table.

"Whoops. Clumsy me," I say dully, with an unbelievably fake smile. She glares, but I just go back for more plates. While we were all seated at the table and eating Molly's deliciously prepared food, I did everything in my power not to draw attention to Christmas presents, especially not mine. I chatted continuously, changing the subject every few minutes so as to stay in control of the topic of conversation, throughout all of breakfast. The thought of my prized gift never came up again, and I was thankful for it.

~~~~~~~~~~

The whole day, we played games and talked. It was loads of fun to be with all these people that I considered family, and I was beginning to dread going back to school. At some point, later in the evening, Harry pulled me into an empty hallway out of earshot of everyone else.

"Who really gave you that necklace?" he questioned, head tilted in disbelief of my earlier answer. I felt heat rush into my cheeks as my mind worked furiously to think up a believable lie.

"A friend," I said. Really, Y/n? I scolded myself in my head. Harry looked at me in disbelief.

"Which friend?" he asked sharply. I figured it was no use lying, and he would likely find out anyway.

"Draco," I answer reluctantly. He looks surprised for a second, but instead of getting angry like I thought he would, he just sighs.

"And you really expect me to believe that he's just a friend? That necklace looks bloody expensive." he replies incredulously. I shake my head solemnly, forcing back a laugh. "Why would you lie to me?"

"Because I didn't want you even more mad, and I especially didn't want to admit you were right in saying that I fancy him." The truth came spilling out rapidly before I even knew what I was saying. I couldn't look him in the eyes. "I'm sorry, Harry." He looks at the floor.

"Well, I definitely can't say I'm thrilled," he starts, and I nearly wince. "But I want you to be happy, and if he makes you happy, then I guess I can live with that." My face brightens immediately, and I throw myself onto him in a hug.

"Thank you, Harry!" I say, voice muffled as I'm pressing my face into his shoulder. He chuckles.

"Of course, Y/n," he answers. "but just know; if he hurts you—"

"Don't be surprised if he comes up missing, yeah, yeah, I got it." I interrupt, quoting Moony's earlier words of wisdom with a laugh. He joins in with his own jolly laugh and for a second, it's just us. Not 'the Chosen Ones'. Just a brother and sister, enjoying each other's company.

That feeling came to an end rather quickly when the sound of spells being cast and people yelling met our ears. We both ran quickly to the front door where the haze of smoke was thick in the air. Out the door, we saw multiple dark figures standing behind a row of flames in the yard. However, the second we stepped out the door, all of the figures took off into the cornfield at the sight of us.

All but one.

"I killed Sirius Black! I killed Sirius Black!" An awfully familiar voice screeches over the crackle of the raging fire and the chaos around us. The voice of Bellatrix Lestrange was like nails on a chalkboard, and the words she was screaming made things so much worse. "I killed Sirius Black!" the evil woman jeered once more before Harry suddenly took off after her.

"Harry!" I screamed, running through the flames after him. I heard a few people shout my name, but I simply ignored them, and raced after my brother. I could hardly see through the dark and crowded field. Sounds of spells echoed through the night, but I had no idea where they could be coming from. I was blind as plants a foot taller than me smacked me in the face, but I didn't slow down. Not until I nearly ran over my brother. We stopped quickly as we met a clearing. Standing back to back with wands ready, we stood prepared for anything to come flying out of the field. Rustling of leaves surrounding us like distant whisper confused my senses, and I had no idea where anyone else could be, or who it was that was out there.

Eventually, a body came flying out of the plants, and I would have attacked them if it weren't for Harry, who recognised the person before I did, and forced my arm down. Ginny had come to our aid, and quickly took her place beside me. We all scanned the area in front of us for foes. Suddenly, a nonverbal spell came from the crop.

"Protego!" I yelled, protecting all three of us from the mystery curse. Wicked cackling was all I could hear, along with the sounds of people running and wind rustling in the leaves. Finally, after what felt like ages of guessing, the felons showed themselves.

Bellatrix Lestrange stood a few feet away, in front of Harry of course. Another stood in front of me: Fenrir Greyback, a werewolf. I had heard stories about him, and I wasn't exactly delighted to meet him up close and personal. I clenched my free hand and gripped my wand tighter to stop it trembling. There were other death eaters present, but I couldn't recognise them in the dark. All of a sudden, spells were flying back and forth. I was barely quick enough to block all of them, and a random one from my right made a deep cut in my cheek. I wanted badly to cry out, but I knew I could be hurt far worse if I let my guard down. Then, the firing of curses stopped completely. The death eaters shot into the air in whirls if black smoke, barely visible against the inky night sky.

"They're headed for the house," I say in fear, already starting in the direction of the Weasley residence. The two at my sides hear, and we sprint back to the Burrow. However, once we arrived, nothing could be done. The beautiful house I had thought of as a second home was up in flames, and the death eaters were nowhere in sight. Mrs. Weasley and Mr. Weasley stood together, looking at the burning wreckage of their wonderful home, and the sight nearly brought me to tears. Ginny just stared, and I could swear I saw a drop fall over her cheek. I went to give her a hug, but I saw Harry had beaten me to it. If it weren't such a horrible situation, I would have teased them. I figured it best to leave it for a later time. For now, I would help and support the Weasley's in every way I could.