† Prologue †

"I bet you can't beat me!" My older sister smirks, holding a metal sword. The glint of the hot and heavy sun beating down on us makes me squint. "Watch me" I taunt. I grab a sword, very similar to hers. She just turned seven. I was mid way through my time as a five year old.

"Don't hurt your older sister, Amara" I could hear our mother shout from our small home, practically begging me to do something wrong.

When I wasn't paying attention, to caught up in what my mother had said did Arabella swing at me. She cut my cheek. I looked up to see her worried face. My sister had always cared far to much about me. She was very protective. I shake my head and get into a fighting position. She still looks concerned. "I'm fine Bella, I promise" I comfort the raven haired girl. She sighs but nods anyway. We continue to swing at each other before I hit her a little to hard. The sword fell out of her hand and I noticed that I had cut her wrist.

Tears blur my vision. I never wanted to hurt my sister. I rush towards her but freeze when I hear the house door swing open. I couldn't understand what our mother was shouting about but it couldn't have been good because it rewarded me with a smack to the face.

That seemed to knock me out of my dream like state. "I SPECIFICALLY TOLD YOU NOT TO HURT YOUR SISTER! YOU ARE NOTHING TO ME. YOU HAVE MESSED UP ONE TO MANY TIMES! I WANT YOU OUT!" My mother shouts.

Silent tears run down my cheeks as I stare at the women I called mom confused.

"Mommy-" I get cut off. "No! You don't get to call me that" she shouts once again. "I don't want to see your face again. Get out" she demands, no remorse hidden on her face or in her eyes. I turn to see my little brother watching with tears in his eyes. "Lincoln, I love you" I start but I'm hit with something flimsy. I see a sheath sitting by my feet. My mother tosses a dagger and my sword on the ground in front of me before she points towards the gates of our village. "GO!" She seethes.

I pick up the dagger before sheathing it into the smaller one on my hip before doing the same with the sword, placing the one on my back. I try to hug my older sister but my mother grabs me by the collar of my shirt and drags me to the gates before tossing me out and shutting the gates quickly. I sob before slowly picking myself up and sprinting away from the place I used to call home. I didn't even get to say goodbye to my sister.

I pant before leaning against a large pine tree. I hear a low growl before a wolf stalks out of the bushes. I sob even harder, my salty tears making the cut on my cheek sting. The growling stops and I open my eyes to see the wolf sitting in front of me. It leans closer towards my face and I close my eyes, excepting my fate. It's tongue drags it's way across my cut.

I flinch and it whimpers at me.

I backs away from my small frame before slowly walking away, looking back at me before continuing. I follow the pure white creature.

Age 6

"Come on winter!" I squeal, hearing the birds squawk before flying to a different tree. The wolf jogs after me.

I trip and tumble forwards but a snout catches my small body. I get up quickly, feeling my lip quiver. Unshed tears sit in my eyes.

I let her head gently. "I'm sorry" I whisper. She licks my hand before continuing to lead me to the water.

"I love you winter" I tell the wolf. She licks my cheek and I giggle.

When we reach the waterfall, she nudges me towards it. I tumble in and stand up, smiling at her. I clean myself off before making my way back onto land. I curl up on a blanket. She lays beside me and I grip onto her fur tightly. My eyes close and I fall asleep, holding the only thing I have left.

She's all I have.

She's my family.

Age 11

Winter had given birth to four pups about a week ago. They were beautiful. One was pure white like her, another had a black paw and was white besides that. The last two were pure black.

Winter and I were coming back from hunting right now. I would follow her while the pups would sit in a basket I had made.

We were currently situated in the snowy mountains. I have gotten used to the cold. Winter and I continue our way on the mountain path, my feet slipping in the snow. A growl erupts from in front of us. A panther leaps into the path, blocking us from getting home.

The two wild animals growl at each other. I feel on my waist for my dagger only to find nothing. I couldn't help Winter.

The two lunge at each other in a battle of rage and hunger.

They growl and swing, nails out and ready to cut.

I watch in concern. I was scared.

I blink once and the panther had a paw on Winters neck, slowly allowing the blood to sink deep into the wolf's pure white coat.

"NO!! WINTER!!" I scream.

Winter looks at me and nudges her head. A loud sob escapes me when hear the sickening crunch of Winters neck snapping before I sprint away from the scene.

The pups are safe under the blanket, in the basket. I make sure to keep it steady so the pups don't fall out. I just lost the only
family I had left.

I climb up a tree, still holding onto her children. Then I cry. I just lost every thing, once again.

Memories of when I first met Winter to now started to reply in my mind, over and over. She truly loved me.

"I give up, I'm done caring. These pups are all I have left. I'm finally numb" I whisper to myself before my eyes close and the exhaustion from that situation takes over.

—————————————————————————————————-

I'm not crying, I don't know what your talking about.