† Twenty †

Footsteps rush from behind me and I know they're not a threat by the pure panic the person was in.

"Wait" the voice calls and I slow my pace down.

Lexa falls into step beside me and I glance at her.

"What is it" I ask seriously.

"Just, you know......get some rest. Heal before doing anything to serious" she tells me un surely.

"I'd that a suggestion or an order" I ask, looking her way.

"Just don't bleed out" she states, irritated by my teasing.

I nod my head and she nods back, hesitating before she makes her way back towards her tent.

I continue to walk to the stables and I see a beautiful horse.

"Isn't she pwetty" a child's voice rings out from behind me and I spin around.

"That she is, kid" I agree and he grins.

"What's your name" I ask, crouching down to his level, my body tensing at the strain on my wounds.

"Issac" the younger boy replies and I smile sweetly.

"Well hey there, Issac. I'm Amara" I greet and he giggles.

I chuckle at that and he smiles.

I notice his two missing front teeth and grin.

He runs towards me and trips, face planting into the dirt.

I hold back a laugh and help him up.

He stand up and grins at me.

I could hear a feminine shriek and a woman runs up to us, grabbing the boy.

"Mummy, she's my fwiend" he grins and she glares at me.

"Stay away from my son, rabid bitch" the woman spits at me and I flinch at the hateful words. The hurt on my face is evident.

The boys struggles against his mother.

"Don't be a meanie" he demands, squinting at her.

"Hey, kid, it's okay. I promise" I whisper, throwing a fake smile on my face.

"Don't disrespect your mother" I advise the young boy and he nods.

"Okay, Amawa" he smiles at me before her apologizes to his mom.

"Sowwy, mumma" he mumbles and she glances at me before walking away.

I space out once the boy and his mother are out of sight.

Was I really that bad? I get the scars are scary. But am I really that disgusting of a human being.

Do they even think I'm a human being?

Or do they see me as a monster that needs to be put down?

"Amara" a voice greets with concern.

I recognize that voice.

Dakota.

I spin around on my heel, the fake smile still plastered on my face.

"Hey Kota" I greet. She frowns at me.

"Don't do that" she demands, sighing.

"Don't do what" I ask, deciding it was best to pretend I don't know what she was talking about.

"I saw it happen" she states and I tilt my head.

"What happened. It's nothing out of the usual" I state and her whole entire body sags.

"That's the problem. You're a good person. And yet, they pin you to be a monster. It's not fair" she cries out and I quickly shush her.

"They need someone to blame. I'm that person. And I'll happily be that person. If it means everyone else here can live with themselves, I will do whatever it takes to make sure it stays that way" I state, trying to get her off of this topic.

"But it shouldn't be that way!" She exclaims, throwing her hands in the air.

"They need a scapegoat Dakota! I'm that person! Live with it. I do it every day of my damn life. So fucking live with it" I shout back to her, trying to calm myself down.

Tears fill her eyes and my face softens.

"Look, I'm sorry for yelling. But it's the way it's supposed to be. They need a bad guy, I'm that person. If I can deal with it, then so can you" I state softly and she nods tearfully.

I open my arms and she throws herself into them.

My hand finds her pregnant belly and I grin.

"You're almost there" I whisper to her and she laughs.

Her face falls serious and she meets my eyes.

"Will you help me" she asks quietly and I tilt my head at her.

"Of course, Kota. I'll always be there for you" I kiss her forehead and she smiles at me.

Her bright smile soon turns to a frown and she glares up at me.

"I don't believe you" she states and my eyebrows furrow.

"Why not" I ask confused.

"Because. You almost left me" she whispers, her voice cracking.

"Well I promise not to leave you again, unless I have permission" I state and she smiles.

"Only when you're safe, can I rest peacefully, Kota" I whisper to her.

"Only when I'm safe" she recites questionably.

I nod.

"Only when you're safe"