Chapter |32| Spiralling

Start from the beginning

Now, a memento of him. Hardin. Forever safely locked away. No matter what happened, I'd always have a piece of him with me.

"Grrrrr," I quickly suck in my stomach to put a stop to all the embarrassing noises erupting from it. I told Flo that I would eat downstairs this morning, wanting the comfort of other people, over isolating myself in my room.

I grabbed a red corset-like top, that cinched at the waist, and a simple white skirt that flowed down to my calves. Pairing it with some gladiator sanders, throwing my hair up into a simple ponytail and applying a lick of lip gloss, I was ready to go.

I walked with an unusual pep this morning, gently humming to myself, and it didn't go unnoticed. Servants gave me strange looks as they scurried past me and the guards watched on with perplexed expressions as I greeted them with bright smiles.

The dining room had one long table in the middle and several small ones surrounding it. A large buffet was set up along the wall and the room was alive with chatter.

This was the first time I'd been here. Normally I preferred to be the Lone Ranger, only ever eating with Rory occasion, but today everything was different.

It was like I'm seeing the world in a new light.

I was only ever going to be here once right?Might as well take advantage of it.

I strolled over to the huge array of food and my arm instantly shot out for a double chocolate chip muffin. One word, delicious.

"You should really think before you eat." My hand froze, hovering above the muffin, which was practically begging me to grab it and scoff it all down.

"That has like 200 calories in it and knowing you, you'll have an orange to make yourself feel better, and then grab a plate and stuff as much as you can onto. You might even go back for seconds."

I hated that Ivy knew me so well, but she was wrong about one thing. I was going back for seconds.

"So, I can't eat now?" She sighed, grabbing my hand and pulling it away from the food.

"Arabella, we have to look out for each other. I'm just trying to help. You don't want.." She looked both ways and then leaned in closer, her voice now turning into a hushed whisper.

"You don't want to look like what you did four years ago, right? We were brought here because we're beautiful. You're stunning, that's no lie, but the now you is stunning, not the you that weighed 500 pounds. Do you really think Hardin will want a wife who's packing a few extra pounds? No, he doesn't. He wants someone slim and beautiful. Someone to look good standing next to him or sitting beside him on a throne. And no-one wants a Queen with stomach rolls."

She was right. We were brought here because of our looks. Sure, Hardin may be looking for personality now, but if I didn't look the way I did, would I even have a chance? Would I be here? No, I wouldn't.

I was letting all these privileges get to my head. It was easier before since we ate the same thing three times a day. My extra weight as a child was gained from lack of exercise and genetics.

I got rid of it, but now I was putting it back on.

Ivy was tapping her foot impatiently and then rolled her eyes, before sticking her fingers up my corset.

"Hey, what the hell?" I screeched, jumping back.

"Yep, you should be able to fit two fingers under your corset. I could hardly fit one up there. That's bad Arabella, it's also a sign."

"A sign of what." I whispered worriedly, but my eyes flickered over to the man, who consumed my every thought. He looked over and waved at the two of us, straightening out his immaculate suit and then walking straight towards us.