Chapter |1| Welcome to my life

"Girls up! Breakfast will be served in eighteen minutes

"Girls up! Breakfast will be served in eighteen minutes. Move now!" The matron screamed, almost shattering my ear drums in the process.

All the girl jumped out their beds creating a systematic thudding sound, whilst I simply groaned and grabbed my pillow to cover my ears. I needed more sleep.

A person needs an average of nine hours of sleep, whereas I need about 14. I'll take a nap whenever I can.

"Ari come on. You're gonna get in trouble again." Lilia whispered into my ear, whilst frantically shaking me like a mad woman.

Lilia's always been a stickler for rules and punctuality. Me being late automatically puts our dorm on the radar, and Lilia will do anything to stay unnoticed.

I should too. I should be trying to stay as low as I can but I'm not one for authority. I make my own rules.

Not by choice, it's just in my DNA I guess. I get it from my mother. One of the only things I know about her was that she hated rules and even tried to escape multiple times, causing her untimely death.

I protested when Lilia resorted to pulling on my arm as a form of getting me up. Eventually she managed to pull me into a seated position and then she grabbed the spray bottle hidden under my bed and started to squirt me with it.

I coughed and sputtered as the water hit me with such a force that I had no choice but to open my eyes and wake up. I glared at her, whilst she giggled.

This was our daily morning. It was also the only form of fun we ever have. Each of the girls in our dorm have hidden spray bottles underneath their bunks, that we've collected over the years.

They're old bottles that were once filled with cleaning products, but now we use them as a tool to cool us down in summer, do our hair or even in water fights.

There are six of us in total, meaning three bunk beds placed around the small box room. We have a bathroom connected to the room that barely fits two people in so timing is key.

When we were seven and all fully able to speak, read, write and organise, we devised a timetable which made sure that everyone gets the same amount of bathroom time. Right now we're on minute four, meaning that it's Rachel's first minute in the bathroom.

The girls know I'm the slowest at getting out of bed so I have the last three minutes, which I'm perfectly content with.

"Here," Lilia muttered, throwing me my blue dress, whilst she slipped hers on.

Lilia's my best friend and the closet thing I have to a family.

We've been bunk mates since we were four years old. We do everything together, well mostly everything, it's not like I'm gonna let her watch me pee.

She's my partner, meaning that, we clean, study, socialise and eat together. We only really need each other.

Don't get me wrong, the other girls in our dorm our my friends too but I don't love them like I love Lilia.