Chapter |12| Addiction

I don't know what it is about her, but she's a constant plague on my mind

I don't know what it is about her, but she's a constant plague on my mind. She consumes my every thought and all I've wanted to do this past week is go to her room.

Just to simply see her face again or hear her voice.

She's got the voice of an angel, but then she's not afraid to speak to me like I'm... normal. Her snappy comments and sharp wit is attractive in itself, but then pair it with her beauty and you've got a goddess.

I've hated the idea of this stupid competition ever since I was old enough to understand it. First of all, it's completely vain. Picking the prettiest girls out of each sector purely based on their looks and how fertile they are, it's deranged.

Now, with my father adding more and more pathetic things to the competition, it's turning into a reality show. I don't want my personal life, or relationship with my future queen broadcasted to the nation. Then again, I don't get much choice, even though I'm the crowned Prince and soon to be king.

My father is what he's viewed as by the rebels and most of the public, a joke. He parties, drinks, sleeps with random women, and that's it.

He's a showman and even my grandfather knew that he was not right to rule. I'm practically already running this country and yet when it comes to something as important as my marriage, I have no say.

The masked ball was my one chance to try and slip away into the crowd but my father made sure to know exactly what I was wearing to keep an eye on me. I practically spent the whole time, drinking wine at the back of the hall, until he forced me to dance with someone.

I don't know why I chose her. Perhaps it was her slender legs, that peeked out of her dress, or the way her dress showed off all her beautiful curves. Maybe it was her dark hair that hung down her back in perfect curls, and the way I just wanted to wove my hands into them.

Either way, I chose her.

She was reluctant at first, giving away that she had no idea who I was, but then finally gave in. We danced, and in all my years of dancing with random women, I've never felt a connection like I did then.

She entranced me. Despite wearing a mask that covered up a good proportion of her face, she managed to trap me with just her eyes and her lips.

I almost lost control. I almost kissed her, but then I pulled away. I realised where I was and who was watching, and then I left. I turned and walked out the doors without looking back. My father was pissed but I didn't care. I needed some air, I needed some space.

I didn't think that there was anyway she was part of the competition, not until the next day, when she told me herself.

I don't even know why I tricked her into thinking I was a guard. At first I was furious to find someone in my mother's private quarters, a place I deem as very special. Then when I saw her face, that anger diminished into nothing.