CHAPTER 39

I have been home for two days now, makes it is the second day. I have made myself as invisible as possible.
It’s not like I love Moping around the house and ruining everyone’s mood. And I’m trying to hurt them on purpose, but I can’t help feeling the way I do.

Thankfully, my dad has each given his wives their apartments. It’s still a part of the house, but that way, everyone has their space. It doesn’t affect my sibling’s relationship and I think that’s what’s important.

The wives stay out of my way, and I stay out of there. Except we have an occasion that requires us to come together as a family. 

I don’t hate them, but I know none of them likes me, and I can see through the fake smiles and pleasantries.

 On the fourth day of my stay, I sat down on the balcony, staring out into space. I had my phone, but I refrained from pressing it. I would see his pictures and see memories that would make me sad. He has been calling me but I don’t answer.

The weather is beautiful today. It reminds me of Summer in Canada. The sun is too cheery for my liking. It kinda makes my sour mood unnecessary.

None of the kids are out playing, so the compound is free and sparse. Just like me.

  I feel all my emotions all at once, grief, sadness, anxiety, loss...I felt stupid and unloved. How could he do this to me? I hid nothing from him, but.” I sighed out loud.

I stopped crying. The balcony was looking over the house. I wiped my face when I saw my dad walk in looking as young as ever.

I stood up hurriedly, making the chair empty for him before making my way inside. I didn’t have time for fights right now...so I’d rather not be anywhere near him. We barely have a conversation without it, resulting in someone swearing or yelling at the other.

I think our MBTI might be the problem. I chuckled.

“Ajoke!” He called, and I halted. It’s one name he never calls me except something special happened...like when he wanted to disown me then. It’s especially reserved for when I am being rebellious. I liked it.

“Sir!” I turned to wait for what he had to say. Maybe he wanted to send me on an errand. I stood like a stranger and waited for him to speak.

“Come sit with me.” That single sentence took me down memory lane, but I quickly shrugged it off.

I sat beside my dad and in no time I felt agitated. You can’t blame me. The last time I said with my dad was after my mom passed.

“Are you okay?” I furrowed my eyebrows. His tone with me has changed. It’s softer and calmer.
“You haven’t been yourself since you came around. What’s wrong?” He asked again.

“Why! Why are you suddenly being nice to me? The child that always gives you headaches is me.” I told him defiantly. Stress was eating me up inside, I have enough on my plate already. I can’t deal with this rich man now.
He laughed at that... How can someone laugh with a straight face?

“You are very special to me. I have never told you this, but out of all my children, you always tell me the truth...you were always right.” He told me and I looked at him. I am shocked at his confession.

“They fear me too much to say anything,” He continued.

“What about mom?” I asked, after studying his face. He looked like he was in pain. Maybe I made a mistake by asking, but I wanted to know.

“I loved your mother so much. It’s just a pity she had to leave us so early.”

“You never treated her like you loved her...you denounced her, insulted her.” I couldn’t help but raise my voice at him.