CHAPTER 9

Two months later, on the wedding day, I looked amazing and I felt amazing. I vowed that I wouldn’t let the fact that the union wasn’t real bother me. I let myself enjoy the attention because I knew it might be the first and last wedding I have.

There were so many people to doll me up. Demilade’s family members I didn’t get acquainted with filled the hotel room. We were all gyrating and sweating at the same time.

Alot has happened within two months. I went home for the first time in months to tell my father I’d be getting married. My dad didn’t react as I expected him to. He promised to support me financially, not that Demilade’s family needed it, but I accepted it.

My step moms and aunties started making preparation. I knew little about preparing a wedding. We got engaged, and both families got acquainted. My dad and Big Boss immediately hit it off. Apparently, they’ve met before.

We had a small house wedding, nothing more than 200 guests, including our families. I knew nothing about the event planners, but one thing I was sure of was that they did an outstanding job.

My step mothers came through for me. They no longer see me as a threat ever since my mother died. I don’t know who started the mindset that multiple wives have to be each other’s enemies. It’s a stupid feud if you ask me.

  Demilade’s mother hated that we wanted a house wedding. She wanted to rent an expensive hall and have an elaborate Nigerian wedding, but we convinced her not to.

I, for one, preferred a quiet wedding with just friends and family. I wore a beautiful white gown, very expensive. Demilade’s sister bought it as a gift for us. It was a sleeveless with a gown that hugged my features perfectly. It wasn’t too long, nor was it heavy. She told me I could remove the flare later and wear it in a short gown.

I got to meet everyone in Demilade’s family and he got to meet mine.My dad showed up at the wedding in Agbada. I could tell he was happy to ship me away to some man. Less trouble for him.

 I recalled the look Demilade had on his face. His jaw literally dropped. I smiled with confidence as I sat beside him. He looked amazing too in his white and black tuxedo, very muscular and manly. Too bad nothing would not be happening that night.

Suddenly, I felt sad. As tears fell, I stared out the car window. I tried to stop, but I couldn’t. Life, I wondered what life has got in stall for me. I wonder what wonders or disappointment my future holds, but importantly, it felt right to cry.

I always thought crying on the wedding day was stupid. But now that I am experiencing it, all kinds of emotions are rattling me. I would have loved to have my mom by my side, to guide me through whatever the hell the future may hold.

I bit back the tears that were threatening to fall as we neared his house. He opened the gate with a remote and drove in. I cannot let him see me like this. He’d think me delusional because why the hell am I crying at a sham wedding?

The house was a bit of a consolation, as it was beautiful. A bungalow of four rooms, I remember Demilade telling me. Once we were in the house, an awkward silence filled the air.

I don’t know how long we are staying here, but he has an obligation to his father, so it might be sometime.

“Let me show you to your room,” He said, watching me closely. “Are you okay?” He looked slightly concerned.

“Never better,” I replied, and he took that as his cue to show me to my room. I had my fake smile on half convincing him.

 As soon as the air was clear, I hurried to the bathroom and really cried like really really cried. I had always imagined getting married to my knight in shining armour. A man who’d love me and the whole good and bad package. I made my way back to the room, my head throbbing from crying too much.