CHAPTER 13

Hello, friends! Hope you’re enjoying my book. Please vote, comment and correct.
____________________________

So, events in my life as taken a wonderful turn when Demilade approached me with a job offer to work in the branch of ALL’s in Canada.
Let me cut back a little.

It was a fine Friday night, I and Demy were in the middle of eating dinner when he brought it up. I chewed slowly on the fried rice. I was eating, anticipating what he wanted to say.

“I got you a job. You can come to work in my office if you like. It would be an accounting job just like you wanted.”

“Really! Thank you.” He’s made my night seriously. I watched him as he took a sip from his wineglass. He looked worried. Something else was wrong.

“I don’t expect you to be happy for me for anything... I began... But you look like you have more to say. What is it? I watched him straighten up in his chair uncomfortably.” The thing is Lucy also works in the company.

Oh! I said. I see clearly why he found it difficult to tell me. Me, Lucy and him in a space together, that would be a little complicated. He saw my reaction, and that was what made him say.

“Take your time. Think about it. There is nothing to rush about.” He said hastily. I could tell he didn’t want me in his company. And I didn't know why.

What would I do? I’m like the coolest person you’d ever met. I should be worried about how awkward it would be. It shouldn’t be the other way around.

“I would take the job,” I said confidently and watched his face falter for a second, but then it disappeared as quickly as it came.

He rose from the table shortly after. I watched as he did his dishes and just before he left the room; he said to me.

“Think about it again.”

It was an advice but why did it sound more like a warning to me?

That night after I had tidied up that plates,I over heard Demy on the phone with someone I presumed was Lucy.

“How much longer is finishing the deal going to take?” He asked in a soft voice, one he hardly uses with me. I couldn’t hear the other person but I heard him say again,

“Two to three days? Which is it?”

“So, are you coming? Don’t try, should make it.” Then laughed.

“Okay. Goodnight. I love you too.”

I frowned at the last part because I didn’t need to hear it. I hurried to my room, knowing I’d be meeting Lucy soon, and that got me a little worried.

I didn’t know what to expect. One thing I was sure of is that she is alluring. Nigerian boys no dey carry last. I smiled at the thought.

In my room, I couldn’t seem to get Demy’s last words out of my head. He seemed afraid and worried about something, but I couldn’t place my hands on what it was.

I switched on my phone’s torch and sat down facing my mirror. I didn’t want to switch on the light. The best time I think is when it was dark, I did that best. It eliminated distractions.

Suddenly, my phone rang, and I sprang up from the chair.

It was Eliza! I quickly picked up. It’s been a while since we spoke and the first thing that came to my head was to query her about why she hadn’t called sooner.

“Hello Bae! What’s up?”

“I’m fine good and you?”

We are all good. Thank God!"