CHAPTER 7

It’s been a week since I went with Demilade to his parents’ house. He’s dad still has not agreed to our marriage. I was letting go of the hope that he might change his mind.

Maybe I should force the blessing out of him. Tell him I have recordings of him wooing me. I concluded that it’s not worth it and that would only cause more problem.

The only reason the Big Boss isn’t winning this fight is because he has no leverage over me. Or else he would have threatened me with something by now.

Meanwhile, Demilade has become more irritable. His feelings for Lucy must be really strong. He doesn’t even talk to me anymore; he has become more distant than ever...you know it is an uncommon thing to know that a guy doesn’t like you but when he shows it nothing hurts more.

There is nothing I can do as much as want the problem sorted. I keep to myself. Demilade hasn’t been the only one giving me a hard time, but also Eliza and the others in my department. Apparently, someone leaked the news about me and Demilade, and I knew for sure who did. It was Toyin. I guessed the Big Boss must have told her during one of their meetings.

The good thing was that everyone bought the lie I told them. I told them Demilade dated before I got the job. I lied. We had history when I have never met the guy before until now.

“No wonder you always looked at him that way?” Mayowa blurted and I turned to look at him.

“What way?” I asked, then quickly regretting it.

“In this dreamy way, like he’s the only one your eyes sees.” he said again, totally clueless of what he was doing.

“I don’t think so.” I lied, and when I turned I found Chioma and Mayowa smiling at me. They were teasing me and I felt in uncomfortable.

“I wonder how you guys kept it away from everyone in this building.” Eliza eyed me.

“We were very careful.” I said quickly but she still looked unconvinced.

“You all should get back to work.” I dismissed it.

Demilade cannot hear any of this. He might get the wrong idea. I don’t want him to think I have an ulterior motif. That would ruin everything

Soon, they all left except Eliza, that was staring at me. I stared at her, not entirely clueless about why she was looking at me like that.

The others may be slow-witted, and gullible, but Eliza isn’t.

“What?” I snapped.

She didn’t flinch but asked,” that story you told us you saw on Facebook was a lie, wasn’t it?"

I was a terrible lair, and I knew if Eliza kept up what she was doing I’d finally tell her the truth. I looked away quickly.

“Why would I lie about that?” I tried to sound as convincing as possible.
She arched one of her brows, giving me the... I’m not buying your lies look. I finally opened up after she stared at me for 15minutes straight, blinking when due.

“Are you insane?” She asked, eyes wide. She looked ravenous

“No. Not even close.” I must admit it felt good to tell someone. I felt relieve for the first time in a long time. You know, I trusted Eliza, maybe because she’s more mature. It felt like telling her, has lifted some load off my shoulders.

“What if you develop feelings for him? She stared at me. "Oh my God, you like him, don’t you?

“Its nothing like that. I’m doing this because I am not sure I ever want to get married in my life. What if no one wants to marry me, at least by doing this, I can tell someone I’m divorced?” I told her.