CHAPTER 23

Continuation

"I asked what you wanted because I know Nigerian women don't go out of their way for boys except they want something or... Did I do something… Oh God! Hope I haven't eaten poison like this?" He gasped, placing his hand on his mouth as a lady does. I laughed so hard.

"You do realize you'd be dead by now if I poisoned you. You've eaten everything." I told him, still chuckling.

He grabbed onto his stomach, groaning in pain, and he fell off the chair. I continued laughing, but stayed put. I knew he was pretending, so I didn't bother. Just munched on my cake.

After 15 sec I watched him crawl back up and he stared at me in amazement.

"Wow… I can see that you don't care about me at all." He feigned hurt and I laugh again.

"I care about you a lot. I am not just showing it.” Nonchalantly, and resumed focus on my cake. I looked down at the chocolate cake and took a fork full and when I looked back up at him, I couldn't put the fork in my mouth. His gaze made me hold the spoon in midair.

He was looking, and not just any, look at my face. His face was a mixture of surprise and happiness, as he was half smiling. He looked handsome under the candlelight and I begged to breathe. I was sure my mouth hung open at the magnificent sight.

The air was thick and intense, at least for me. It was intensely good, not intensely bad. I coughed quietly, breaking myself from the trance and I see my hands were shaking as I tried to put the cake in my mouth.

"I didn't mean that in that way. I am your friend and we live...” I tried to explain.

"Thank you.” He said simply, and he continued to dig in.

I didn't reply because I know what that word meant. It was heavy with meaning. I felt strangely satisfied. That word was enough to fill me with hope. Although I almost died of shame, I still smiled at him in return, and we finished our meal in silence. The silence means more than a thousand words.

************************************

The past week had been marvelous. The days went without error. I had never been so happy in my life. I was glad that he wasn't so moody anymore and he went to work every day. He completely forgot Lucy... So I thought anyway.

That same day in the afternoon, I was at work when I heard my phone ring. Seeing it was Demilade calling, a surge of happiness charged to me. I was smiling before picking up the call. This earned me side glances from my co-workers.

“Hello?” I blurted.

"Hey. How are you?”

"I'm great. What's up?"

"No problem could you come to Tummy Yummy.?” He asked hesitantly.

"Why? What's going on? This is unexpected. Is everything alright."

"Nothing. Can you make it?" He asked. He sounded distracted.

"OK. Fine. I'll be there in a while." I answered, but was not as excited as before.

What was going on? Is he planning to surprise me with something? He had never called me to meet him in a restaurant. I thought it was weird. I grabbed Grace as she walked past. We closed 4 anyway, and it's 3:30 now.

"Grace, can you cover for me? There somewhere I need to be."I tell her, pulling my lower lip into my mouth.

" Sure."

"Thanks." Grace had an accent, but I wasn't in the right state of mind to decipher what she sounded like and where it was from. I rushed out, got a cab, and soon I was there.