CHAPTER 29

Now, I didn’t know what to do, or how to say it. This is a lot harder that I thought. I could feel my breathing becoming labored. I think I am going to pass out. Didn’t know confessing one’s feelings was this hard.

Adrenaline rushed through my veins, and I felt this was the right time to let it out. I mean, what is the worst that could happen?

Oyin, did you lock the door? He asked.

“Uh yeah... I’m getting dressed. It will take a while.” I lied, hoping he bought it.

“Okay. Just come down soon. Dinners ready.” He said.

“I’m kind If full. Think I’ll sit this one out.” I told him.

How would he take my confessing? What if he yells at me and kicks me out in the streets and then I get deported back to Nigeria? And my life ruined. This is a huge mistake.

My phone rang, and I hurried to pick it up. I put In speaker so I can talk to the person and also undress.

“Hey,” the person said.

“Hello and who am I speaking with?” I say, struggling to remove my top.

“It’s Ralph.” The caller answered, and I stop struggling and wore back the cloth. I took a sit on the bed so I could concentrate.

“Ralph. What’s up?” I asked, trying to remember when we exchanged numbers?

“Hope you didn’t forget our date. I’d pick you up at home tomorrow by...”

“Ralph, can you come to pick me up at work instead?”

At that point, I knew Ralph would grant every of my request because he likes me. I have known for a long time now, the only problem is I don’t feel the same. I see him as more of a friend.

“Yeah. Sure.” He answered after a while and I resumed what I was doing. This time I tried to do it gently.

“Thanks. Good night Ralph.” I said.

“You too” He answered. I bet he thinks I’m weird. I’m going to let him down easily tomorrow. Bet took it off and sighed.

 Complicated is life. Some guy that I don’t like guy that likes me, and the one I like treats me as nothing but a good neighbour. Not to mention, he still isn’t over his ex yet.

I don’t think it would be a good idea to tell Demilade anything. If I was going to go on that date with Ralph or not. He’d take it the wrong way and not take to me again.

I hurried into the shower, took a warm bath, and climbed onto the bed to sleep. Pretending to be asleep is the only way I can avoid telling him anything.

My mind drifted to that evening and I wondered what Lucy and Demilade’s dad were keeping a secret. It can’t be anything good, I concluded. Maybe I should tell Demilade.

Nope! What if it was someone else with the same name, then I would be In deep trouble. I was anxious about what would happen tomorrow. I’m going to declare my feeling to Demilade. Clutched the pillow tightly and shut my eyes as the door creaked open.

************************************

Demilade’s Pov

I walked in and she was already asleep. I move closer to her and I wave my hand over her face.

She didn’t move so I take it she has slept deeply already. I sat on my side of the bed and I watched her. She looked calm and peaceful. I ran my hand across her cheeks softly a few times. I picked up her hand and I could see she had beautiful nails.