CHAPTER 28

Ralph had asked me on a date and I freaking planned to go. Since I have had my head wrapped around the idea that Demilade and I could be together one day and it’s not happening. I am going to shoot and receive shots from now on.

He’s been angry since what happened, which I didn’t want to care about. I forced him to say what he didn’t want to, not what he said, but that’s what it felt like. Also, he’s been avoiding me like a plague ever since the confession.

His parents hardly noticed anything was wrong, not that I was complaining. It’s better that way. I felt drained physically and mentally, and I wouldn’t like the interrogation. I went to work on Monday but I couldn’t concentrate.

I stared into space the whole time, thinking about my whole life. I suddenly wanted to go back to Nigeria, where I can start afresh. Maybe meet someone, fall in love, get married, and have kids.

If I had stayed at home, my life would have been pretty basic and uneventful. I have always been on to lead an interesting and dramatic life. It gives me a sense of fulfillment.

My phone rang interrupting my daydream, and I jolted up like someone they used a taser on. It was an unknown number calling.

At first, I thought it was Lucy, but then I remembered I heard she left town. There’s no guarantee she won’t try to get back at us. She’s impulsive and mean.

I reluctantly picked up

“Hello,” I said after a while of just listening, hoping the person would talk first.

“Is this Oyinkan? My son’s wife.” The voice I have gotten familiar with in just a few days said.

“Hello, mummy...is that you?” I asked, wondering why she was calling me, of all people.

“Yes, Oko mi. I am at your workplace. I am outside in the car.” She told me and I couldn’t get my mouth to close. I hurried outside.

“E ka san ma (Good afternoon ma) mummy what’s going on?” Maybe not for everybody else, but I thought it was unusual.

“I understand it’s your closing hours, so I came to take you out. Just the two of us.” She emphasized and I laugh, suddenly reminded of Hotel Transylvania.

“Okay... but mummy let me quickly grab my bag,” I told her, offering an apologetic face.

  In Nigeria, you must respect your in-laws, most especially your husband’s mother. If she hates you, that is the end of your marriage.

I wondered how she would react when her son tells her there was no relationship. I bet that smile on her face right now would be a scowl. Make sure not to be present that day.
I hurried into the car. “Thank you very much, ma. Mommy, this is unexpected.” I couldn’t hide my amazement.

“I noticed we haven’t had the chance to talk girls talk. Those boys are always around,” she said, turning to me and pouting a little.

I smiled. It scared me suddenly. What if she asks me about things I don’t even know? An idea struck me. I decided I would bombard her with my questions. That way, she won’t be able to ask me.

She kept driving, while I initiated small talks and gave compliments when due. She was a superb driver who knew her way around Canada, a beautiful and amazing woman, and fashion I decided was her forte. I could tell she wasn’t fat as a lady and childbirth was the only reason she had the little fat she did.

  Watched her walk into the restaurant comfortably in her skin. I wondered what I would look like when I give birth or in a few years, probably very sexy. I will gym away with every single fat in my body.