Epilogue | When it comes to an end

"Come on! Just one more!" Mom coaxed as I grumbled under my breath. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest.

She clicked another picture of me, making me groan in annoyance. I shot dad a pleading look as he snickered under his breath. I huffed and took off the graduation cap.

"Mom, I think that around two thousand images are more than enough," I responded to her sad expression.

"But these pictures are memories! One day you will look at them and relive this day through them. Trust me!" she whined, making me sigh.

"Catheena, I agree with the boy. I think these many pictures are fine. After all, he needs to meet his friends, and we are getting late for that." Dad tried to explain and walked closer to her.

His steps were wary as if she would blow up any second now.

Tears filled my mother's eyes as she shared a look with dad.

"I just want to have memories. He is growing up so fast, and I can't do anything about it," she hiccuped as she sobbed the words out.

I walked closer to her and wrapped my arms around her. My eyes closed on their own accord as I brought her closer to me. The small ball of nerves relaxed as her faint flowery scent filled my nose.

"I am still here, Mom. You have to bear me at least for the coming summer. I am sure you will take those words back then," I mumbled, making Dad laugh and pat my back.

Mom pulled back from me and cupped my face. She gave me a swift nod as her eyes glistened with tears. "I think you are right. But it doesn't mean that I don't miss my I am a power ranger boy, Eli," she muttered, making red dust my cheeks at the memory.

"Mom!" I whined in humiliation, making her crack a grin.

"What? It is a parent's right to humiliate their child on their big day. It helps with the nerves," she said and patted my chest.

"Now come on! We need to reach your school on time!" she fussed and grabbed the car keys.

"No! You are not driving, woman!"Dad said and snatched the keys from her hands.

"But why?" Mom huffed, pinning him with a glare.

"Making you drive when you are high on nerves is worse than making you drive when you are drunk," he explained, making me break into fits of laughter. All the while, Mom gasped indignantly and walked away from us.

The door closed with a bang as she left.

Dad and I shared a look and then once again burst into peals of laughter.

I grabbed the phone and left the gown open in front, while the chord hung loosely at my neck. My gaze went towards the house next door as Cynthia stepped out.