Chapter forty | Something too big for him

I tossed and turned in my bed as her words echoed through my mind.

I still love you very much.

I groaned in annoyance as her voice chimed in my mind again. Burying my head in the pillow, I willed for sleep to take over me. But no matter how tired I was, slumber was far from my eyes.

Her words haunted my mind, making me question my decision and actions in the past twenty-four hours. Was I wrong to assume? Did she cheat on me, or did my eyes play a trick on my mind? I questioned, staring at nothing in particular.

A sudden image of her lips connected with Jacob took over my thoughts, making me grumble.

I tossed around in my bed as my eyes flew towards the digital clock sitting on my bedside table. The neon green numbers shone in the darkroom, displaying quarter past four in the morning.

I kept staring at it as the number changed with every passing minute. My eyes turned heavy and throbbing in my brain turned numb.

Finally, I fell into the lull of sleep.

The incessant loud ringing of the bell woke me up from my sleep. I glared at thin air as the ringing continued after a few seconds. Turning my eyes towards the clock, I registered that it displayed half-past ten in the morning.

Who the fuck disturbs someone at ten in the morning on a fucking Sunday? My brain hissed.

Agreeing with the statement, I pulled the covers over my head and buried myself deep into my bed. I tried falling asleep once again, ignoring the person on the front door.

My efforts to drown the ringing noise proved to be futile as my phone rang. I groaned loudly as my head protested at loud sounds.

Cursing under my breath, I brought my phone to my ear.

"Hello... what do you want?" I grumbled, making sure to display my discontent and anger through my words.

"You fuck face!" Connor boomed with his loud voice. "Open the fucking door! I have been standing here for the past half hour."

I winced as my ears threatened to bleed. "Fuck off, Connor. Let me sleep," I moaned, not really in the mood to talk with him.

A faint shuffling sound resounded from the other side. "Elias, listen to me please," Navya started in her soothing voice. "Open the door. We seriously need to talk."

"But I am hungover and want to sleep," I whined like a kid. Navya sighed in exasperation.

"Eli, stop behaving like a kid and open the door," she demanded in a threatening voice, making me sigh heavily.

"I thought you guys didn't want to talk to me again, let alone see my face. What changed?" My voice held equal parts hurt and sass.

It went silent on the other side for a minute. If I were in my sane mind, I would have apologized by now. But since I wasn't, I dozed off again.