Chapter nineteen | Liar with a skirt on fire

Cynthia: 'Babe, when are you going to show up?'

My text went to read as Andrea ignored me again.

My eyebrows scrunched together in concern as my jaw ticked in annoyance.

With a huff, I shoved my phone in my jeans pocket and leaned back in my seat.

The teacher walked into the class, and the seat beside me remained empty.

It was when the first period got over, that my phone rang.

I didn't need to see the dialer name to know it was Andrea. The unique ringtone set just for her was enough.

"Are you all right, babe?" I fired just as the line clicked together.

It was silent on the other side for a moment as her breathing caressed the phone.

"Andrea?" I asked, concerned with her silence.

With her jovial attitude and ever-present smile, Andrea wasn't one to keep quiet.

"I-I am fine, Cyn. Just a bit busy," she stammered, seeming nervous on the other side.

I patiently waited for her to explain more as I opened my locker.

My eyes met Fern's for a moment as she gave me a questioning look. I shook my head dismissively and turned towards my locker.

"My aunt broke her back in an accident. I had to leave. I will be back by this evening," she explained.

Something inside me didn't sit well with me at her words, but I waved it off. Andrea rarely lied.

"Oh, ok. Tell your aunt I said get well soon," I muttered, pushing back my hap hazardous thoughts.

"Great. I-I mean sure," Andrea murmured on the line. "See you. Bye!"

She disconnected the call before I could get another word in. I stared at the screen incredulously for a moment, wondering if I should call her again or not. With a reluctant and dejected sigh, I shoved my phone in my bag and slammed my locker shut.

Andrea's strange words were long forgotten by the next period came. The school was a blur until the cheer practice finished.

Just as I stepped out of the shower, I heard muted murmurs fill the locker room. By now, many had left, leaving only a few cheerleaders behind.

Not paying them any heed, I quickly pulled up my jeans and top. The locker room was a hub for gossip between girls (and maybe, boys too).

I stopped for a moment when I heard my name. It wasn't something new, but what concerned me was Elias's name they spoke with mine.