Chapter forty-seven | Not Everything Is What It Seems

I smiled as I heard mom humming a Christmas beat. Dad was busy baking a fresh batch of cinnamon rolls as Mom read through a wedding magazine.

Even if my Mom sucked at making food, she loved spending time in the kitchen. It is a beautiful sensory overload were the words she quoted every time I asked her why.

I beeline my way into the kitchen, stopping right in front of freshly baked gingerbread cookies. My dad likes to go all out during the December month.

Placing a bucket load of icing on my cookie, I ran out of the kitchen.

"I appreciated your help," Dad called out, making Mom giggle.

I ignored Dad's comment and moved to the keys stand. Grabbing my car keys as the cookie dangled off my mouth, I shrugged on my jacket.

A harsh gust of winter assaulted my face as my nose turned pink. It was weird to have a red nose in winters, and I fucking hated it.

"How is my personal Rudolf doing?" I heard her call out behind me.

Her giggle coaxed an eye roll from me, adding to her amusement.

She snatched the gingerbread cookie off my mouth, making me give an indignant gasp.

With a merry expression filling her face, Cynthia munched onto the bitten cookie. I made a face her way.

"Ew, you are eating my saliva."

Cynthia choked mid-bite, coughing harshly.

When she came out of her coughing fit, she threw me a confused look. "You are seriously weird. We exchange saliva when we kiss. I don't hear you complaining then." For emphasis, she bit on the cookie again.

I huffed in reply, walking to her car. With every bit of cookie gone, Cynthia unlocked the car door.

"It's so fucking cold," I muttered as the warmth of the car's heater met my ice-cold face.

As if agreeing with my statement, the wind swirled faster. The snow, once falling like a feather, drummed down like rain.

We were at school in minutes, with barely any students outside. Everyone avoided the snow, wanting to huddle in the confines of the school walls.

My eyes turned towards my right as a gloved hand entwined with mine. My face split into a grin as Cynthia pushed back her beanie away from her face.

"You look cute," I whispered, earning a smile from her.

"You too, Rudolf." I just rolled my eyes at her response.

We pushed past the heavy metal doors, introducing ourselves to the noises of a normal school hallway.