Chapter forty-nine | When Dreams Come True

I focused my eyes on salted roads as heaps of snow gathered on the sides.

It was snowing wildly for mid-December, making this year colder than earlier ones.

I tried to keep my mind away from the thoughts of my best friend. I wanted to talk with Connor about his actions and his feelings, but I didn't know how to approach the topic.

My musing came to a halt when Cynthia wrapped her hand around mine. From the corner of my eyes, I glanced at her.

"So, did you get an answer to your early application?" Cynthia asked, changing the topic.

She knew the turmoil inside my mind, making me smile slightly.

"Not yet. To be honest, I am not expecting acceptance. I mean, the chances of me getting into MIT will be as slim as me winning a medal in athletics."

Cynthia giggled at my words and shook her head. "I see that you are confident."

Before I could reply, the cars pulled up into a cafe's parking.

Just as my feet touched the wet ground, my eyes found Connor. He was stepping out of the car with three girls in tow.

As a smile filled his face, I couldn't help but wonder if it were true or not. Luna's words had somehow triggered my over-thinking self, making me question Connor's every action.

Cynthia shook my arm slightly, bringing me back to the present.

I looked down at her as she looked up at me concerned. "You can talk to Connor about it. Don't worry," she reassured, making me nod.

Pulling her closer, I inhaled her calming citrus scent and placed a kiss on top of her head.

Throughout the date, my eyes kept straying towards Connor and Luna.

With Luna's words echoing in my mind, it was easy to notice the subtle gestures.

It was as if a fog disappeared from my mind, and I could see everything clearly.

The lingering touch, the straying eyes, and the sighs of dejection; everything became obvious to my eyes.

Their awkwardness was so clearly visible with their forced gestures that I wondered why I didn't notice it earlier.

I berated myself internally for not observing this earlier. My fists clenched beneath the table as my jaw ticked.

My eyes analyzed (maybe over-analyzed) his every move. I thought he was over Navya by now, but his actions spoke otherwise.

I am such an idiot! I screamed in my mind.

My anger towards myself bubbled to a dangerous level. I felt a small hand around my fist, making me turn towards my left.