Chapter ten | Assumption assumptions

"Did you sleep with Andrea's boyfriend, Cynthia?"

I froze as his words registered in my mind. Everything that I had planned was crumbling down, right in front of my eyes.

Eli stared, waiting for me to react in some way. His eyes were scrutinizing my every expression, making my walls scale up to the sky. I could feel the sudden distance between us as I closed myself off to him.

"W-who told you that?" I stammered. My voice came out weaker than I want it to, making me clear my throat.

Eli sighed at my question and shook his head. "It doesn't matter who told me that. Tell me the truth, Cynthia. That's all I am asking for." His voice soft but still held some firmness.

I wanted to scream the truth at him, tell him what was eating me on the inside, but I was scared. Scared of how he would react. This form of vulnerability didn't sit well with me. I reverted to my shell, hiding away behind my bitch face.

The queen bee facade was my defense, a toxic defense.

My expression twisted to a scowl, and my eyes turned to harsh glares.

"I don't think the answer should concern you in any way," I hissed, planting my hands on my waist.

Startled by my answer, Eli blinked in surprise. He shook his head and tried again. "It concerns me, Cynthia. Are you using me to get Jacob for yourself?"

I could hear the temper and irritation rising through his words, but I didn't pay them any heed. I scoffed at his question and pointed a finger his way.

"Using you?" My words came out in mocking as I gave him an incredulous look. "You are spouting nonsense. I am the one who is helping you. Your nerd self could never grab Andrea's attention let alone be her boyfriend. I think it is you who is using me."

I twisted his words, turning the conversation away from the real topic. The way Eli's nose flared and his eyes narrowed told me that I was successful at the task.

"I didn't come begging for your help. If I recall correctly, it was you. You were the desperate one who had to seek help from this nerd." His words were a venomous hiss as he pointed an accusing finger my way.

"Oh, really? Then why the fuck do you care? Whatever my motives might be shouldn't be any of your concerns. You are getting what you want!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in the air.

Eli averted his eyes and took in calming breaths. He mumbled something under his breath, which I was sure was something related to Chemistry.

"And now the nerd is babbling his chemistry," I mocked, making him lookup.