Chapter eighteen| Not so shy glances

One way to describe the following Monday was awkward. Eyes followed Connor more than usual, with some brave ones even pointing fingers at him.

It turned out that somebody saw Navya and Connor breaking up that night, making it trend over the unofficial school page.

Many girls now had an evil glint in their eyes, making me shiver in disgust and fear. Some were ready to pounce and sink their claws in the once cheerful best friend of mine.

I was yet to come across Navya, and I don't know what I felt about it. I was both parts concerned and relieved.

"Elias, man!" Some unfamiliar voice called behind me. I gave a questioning glance at the boy who patted my back in a friendly manner. Locking up the temptation to ask who he was, I gave him a nod.

"Dude, you are cool, but you suck at beer pong," he said and left. Once again, I just nodded. It seemed like that being constantly spotted with Cynthia and being part of the track team somehow gained me recognition.

People now knew me enough to pass random pleasantries here and there.

I shook my head at my thoughts and turned my attention to my path.

The hallway was filled with murmurs and shouts, echoing across the off-white walls and tiles. Just as instructed, Connor was leaning against my locker, waiting for me to arrive.

I glared at the sight when a girl approached him.

"Connor?" she said in a sickly sweet voice. She blinked up at him flirtatiously, twirling a strand of her hair. "Can I help you in any way?"

Her intentions were obvious from her trying to be sultry, making me cringe. Increasing my pace, I took my place next to Connor's tired form.

Connor just stared at the girl blankly, with purple bags prominent under his eyes. His air was rumpled as if he couldn't bother himself with taming it.

I opened my mouth to deny her request on Connor's behalf, but somebody beat me to it.

"Show some respect, Bethany," hissed a voice on the other side of Connor. "You need not live up to the cheerleader cliche."

Cynthia glared dagger towards the girl, tapping her foot in annoyance. She took her place right between the girl and Connor.

"But, he is single!" the cheerleader screeched, pointing a finger towards him. Her whining voice was grating my ears, making me scrunch my face in disgust.

If she continued, she could break some glass and bleed some ears.

"He just got out of a three-years-long relationship. Leave him alone for some time. He is not ready for your shit yet," Cynthia seethed, stepping closer to the girl.