Chapter thirty-two | Broken Threads

"I love you."

The small whisper echoed in my mind, again and again, making my breath hitch.

I shook my head, discarding the stupid thought out of my mind. It was just imagination, a play of my yearning mind.

It was just a dream.

I mean, what else could it be? Eli had no feeling for me beyond platonic, and I was sure of it.

He loved his mystery girl, whom I was yet to encounter.

The thought brought a painful clench in my heart as tears pricked my eyes.

Love sucks. No, correct that, unrequited love sucks.

So, I waved off my delusion, even if my heart ached for me to cling onto that slip of hope.

Pushing up my bed, I rushed to get ready.

It had been two days since Eli showed up at my place unannounced in the middle of the night. It was totally out of character for him.

The fact that he was drunk off his face did nothing to ease my worry.

My stomach churned with guilt as my eyes strayed towards his window.

The curtains were closed as the light patter of rain drummed against the glass. Clouds at a distance, warning of an impending storm.

My limbs were tired as I moved down the stairs. I lacked the enthusiasm to go to school, making a somber mood drown me.

As my eyes fell on the family photograph, I resisted the immediate urge to rip it off the wall.

My sadness doubled as my eyes fell on my dad's smiling face.

It had been a week since I talked to him. Right after he left, he had gotten busy with his work. In moments like this, I hated the absence of any parental figure in my life.

While I yearned for some advice and support, getting it from my sister was out of the question. It had been days since I had seen her.

But the light giggles and smell of alcohol that lingered around her room were enough to let me know of her presence.

I shook my head and averted my eyes. My life was already a turmoil and overthinking about my sister's actions wasn't helping the case.

Skipping breakfast altogether, I made my way outside. I grabbed my car keys on the way and the umbrella just in case.

As I opened the door, the scent of rain slammed my senses. The sky matched the gloom budding in my heart, making me sigh.

Clicking my car open, I ran to the door. Thankfully, the light shower wasn't enough to drown me.