Chapter twenty-eight | Sexy babes

I threw a questioning look his way, but he cleverly averted his eyes.

Something was wrong with him today.

Eli's hand clenched and unclenched on the steering wheel as he kept his eyes focused on the road. No matter what, he was avoiding looking at me altogether. No matter what I asked, his answers were monosyllabic.

I took out a bite from my granola bar as a wide range of what-ifs and possibilities danced through my mind.

Is he angry?

What if something happened?

Is he hiding something?

I pursed my lips, reigning my curiosity inside. Forcing Eli an answer was out of the question, so I let my concern eat me up on the inside.

With a dejected sigh, I focused my eyes on the window. My eyes observed the passing scenery mindlessly, not registering anything.

As the school gates arrived in the view, he was quick to park the car and leave me behind.

Eli was trying to dodge me, making my heart twinge painfully. I grabbed my bag and followed him with brisk steps, but my effort turned fruitless as he disappeared in the flood of students.

"Cyn!" a girly voice called from behind me. I turned and faced the familiar blonde rushing towards me.

Her light blue eyes were alight with excitement as she glanced at the cherry doors behind me.

"Hello, Sylvia," I greeted, feeling a bit surprised by her sudden interest in me.

We had talked a few times before, but we never started conversation beyond the necessary.

"Hey!" she said giddily. For a few moments an awkward silence followed her words as she bit her lips nervously.

Sylvia twisted her feet anxiously as she played with the ends of her hair. I was losing patience, a bit too annoyed to deal with a nervous junior.

"What do you want, Sylvia?"

Her bright eyes blinked, looking a bit surprised by my outburst.

"I am sorry to waste your time, Cyn... But I wanted to ask about the thing going between you and Elias. Are you guys in a relationship?" As her saccharine coated words entered my ear, rage shook my soul.

I wanted to say yes and claim him as mine but controlled the urge with the thin thread of my sanity.

Thinking rationally, I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down.

"We are not in a relationship. We are just friends." I wanted my words to sound monotonous, but they came out as a hiss.

Oblivious to my tone, she squealed. She fucking squealed! Her wide blue eyes filled with happiness as the stiffness, that I didn't notice before, escaped her shoulders.