Chapter thirty | The STD Checklist

Elias: 'Can I come over?

I want to ask you about something.'

My eyes scanned the message as a slow smile filled my face. My finger quickly moved across the screen, typing in a response.

Cynthia: 'Sure.'

As the two double ticks turned blue, I quickly maneuvered myself on the bed. I pulled my blinds aside, pushing the window open. Throwing his closed window a glance, I then moved my eyes towards the street.

I was barely able to catch the sight of Eli's tall form before he disappeared again.

The bell ran through the house, filling the empty walls with the rhythmic chime.

I jumped down two stairs at a time and pulled the door open. My smile was bright as my eyes met his icy blue ones.

"Hey!" I whispered in a daze.

Amusement danced in his eyes as he tilted his head to a side. "Hey."

"Come on in," I said bashfully, moving to a side.

As he brushed past me, I couldn't help but feel tingles dance across my skin. His natural scent filled my nose with a faint fragrance of cologne from this morning.

I resisted the urge to take a deep breath and buried my creepy action in my mind.

It was silent as we walked up the steps, our feet moving in synchronization.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" I asked, turning around to face him.

Eli's eyes, which were momentarily fixed on my turned off neon sign, snapped to mine.

He bit his lower lip out of shyness and a habit. Eli pushed the door close behind him and stood in the middle of the room.

"I wanted your help." His voice came out weak as he scratched the back of his head in awkwardness.

Walking closer to him, I raised a questioning brow.

"What do you need my help with?"

I was genuinely curious about his question as he collected his thoughts. His eyes met mine for a second and then wandered around my room.

"C-Can we keep the arrangement going?" He fidgeted on his spot as I froze for a moment.

"Why?" I took a step near him, resisting the urge to turn his face to meet mine.

A lazy smile pulled up his features as he shrugged nonchalantly.

"Just..." He hesitated for a moment, almost killing me in anticipation. "I-I like being popular and the girl I like has a thing for popular guys."