Chapter three | The plan for change

Sprawled on the light blue sheets of my single bed, I stared up at the glow in the dark stars. My childhood fear of darkness was the reason for their presence. Sometimes it was funny considering how darkness helped me calm myself now.

The first day as a high school senior year had exhausted me to my core. The problem was with getting used to spending hours in school after the rules free summer.

Should I play some video-games or hang out with Connor and Navya? I contemplated as I ran a hand through my hair.

In the emptiness of the house, the sudden tapping caught my attention. I turned my tired eyes towards the source. Not bothering to get up, I looked at the weird window that did nothing except give me peeks inside the Crimson residence next door.

Yes, Cynthia Crimson lived next door. No, we weren't friends secretly, just acquaintances with greetings here and there. We were never friends, to begin with. Maybe because the first time we met, I broke her dinosaur toy. We never got along after that.

Being the high school queen's neighbor was certainly a disadvantage for me. Late night parties were disturbing because her parents were rarely home.

I don't even want to mention the number of times I had witnessed her naked. She didn't seem to care about it, but I did. So, I began keeping my curtains closed.

As the tapping continued, I sighed and got up from my comfortable heaven. Pushing the curtains aside, I pulled my window open.

There she was, tapping on her bedroom window, trying to gain my attention. Her perfect appearance was still to the point, even after the taxing school hours. With light brown hair gathered in a high ponytail and face painted to perfection, she was another beauty at our school. She too had a hoard of fans buzzing around her.

Leaning forward through the window, I poked my head out.

"Yes?" I asked with a bored look on my face.

She pursed her painted pink lips and narrowed her eyes in my direction. A few seconds of staring match later, she scoffed and then sighed. With a curl of her palm, she gestured for me to come over.

At this, I raised a questioning brow because this was something new. We had never hung out at each other's houses, even after years of sharing the same locality. Reason? We were worlds apart. Her social circle was on a different standing than mine, both inside and outside the school.

"Come ober noo!" she said, the voice muffled by the glass of her window. Even if her words were muffled and intangible, it was easy to understand what she wanted. 

She stomped on the spot, trying to emphasize her demand.

I would have almost laughed at her childish action if my mind wasn't so occupied with curiosity. So nodding in her direction, I closed the window and grabbed my converse, slipping them on over my Marvel socks-clad feet.