Chapter 97: For My Ladykid

Fun Level Five: Damaged

------------------------------- 

“Sweater girl, would you just clock him a little?” Sans complained. “It feels like your taking a lot of time.” He watched as Frisk once again got into another fight with a wild monster. When Papyrus told him a few days ago he had no choice but to walk with Frisk, Sans tried his best to make her reject his presence. Papyrus couldn’t push the subject if she wasn’t around.

That human though, damn. Determination up the ying yang. At first, Sans tried to flood her with enough jokes to make any monster’s ears fall off. Instead, she either ignored it or . . . actually smiled. Weird.

But she wasn’t good. A part of her wasn’t. Something in her destroyed everything he held dear. And so? He didn’t call her Devil in a Dumb Sweater, somehow it just shortened to Sweater Girl, but it never changed to her name. He didn’t want to honor it that well. Make it feel that welcome.

He felt bad. A part of him felt like he was betraying the entire Underground when he had watched her smile. When she did, he swore she just wasn’t . . . evil. Yet, as much as Papyrus said it was a different person, it was still technically the same person. She once made the wrong choice, and it destroyed his Underground. Gone, forever. So, when he found himself feeling good about her, he shot it all down by being as cruel as he could. Until one day, he couldn’t take the guiltiness anymore.

“Don’t do that, Sweater Girl,” Sans said.

“Do what?” Frisk asked as she continued to walk beside him.

“You aren’t supposed to smile. You’re supposed to want to run in the opposite direction,” Sans complained. “Something like you, you don’t enjoy life. You just demolish it.”

“I don’t demolish anything,” Frisk said. “Sans the Skeleton, I don’t understand why you’re so . . . judging of me. I haven’t done anything wrong.”

“You destroyed this place,” Sans revealed. “You. This place used to be filled with great monsters, like Papyrus. You know, the ghost of the guy that you keep hearing? Yeah? You did it. You dusted him. You’ve turned the Underground into this.”

“You have me confused,” she insisted. “I haven’t done anything. Ask Amanda.”

Technically not, Amanda said.

“Technically?” Frisk stopped walking. “What do you mean technically?”

“I bet I know why you have such a lousy memory,” Sans said. “Because you can’t deal with your own sins.”

“Amanda?” Frisk called to her again. “Amanda?”

It wasn’t you, it was another copy of you, Frisk. Ignore Sans.

“A copy?”

. . . yeah. That thing in your head. Um, it triggered for a copy of you from another dimension.

“ . . . I . . . killed?” Frisk asked her. “I killed?”

A copy. Damn it, Papyrus, why’d you let him say that?

“I don’t have control of his mouth,” Papyrus said back to her.

“Yep, you killed.” Sans looked around. “Used to be nice monsters around here. Shopping and eating. Wouldn’t hurt anybody. There’d be some that would ‘cause they were scared. They knew that humans were why they were thrown down. And you? Well, you just proved them right.”